Chicken Breed Focus - Polish

Pics
They often do look different between the silver lace and other colours. I've found when I've hatched silver lace out they have looked a bit..... not quite sure how to describe it but....... more slender? Not as round a crest? Not as much of a crest?
As you can see in the pics below the silver lace has a smaller crest compared to the chamois (buff) and the blue chick.

Brandislovak, I don't believe the silver laced is a pure Polish. Actually it puts me in mind of a Spitzhauben, although I don't think it is. Maybe some one else can give you a better answer.

I don't think having Polish in with other breeds is a good idea unless raised with them. Unless you have their feathers up in a ponytail, their vision is obscured. This can make them jumpy as they can't see what is coming! Also makes them easy picking for predators and bullies. I do think they are for the most part fairly highly strung birds and fragile compared to farmyard chickens but I just love them lol.

IMG_9384.JPG
IMG_9385.JPG
IMG_9395.JPG
IMG_9404.JPG
IMG_9413.JPG
Currently have 8 crested, 6 polish and 2 appenzeller spitzhauben that are almost 3 months old. Recently noticed 1 Spitz, 1 WC Blue Polish, and possibly 1 Bearded Buff Polish (hard to tell the difference because of the beard) were roosters. I also have 2 Brahma,2 Delaware, 4 RIR hens. I was going to keep 1 rooster and get rid of the others, just can't decide which one. The WC Blue seems a little lost and goofier, the Spitz is definitly more aware of the others location and smarter in general. The Bearded Buff is similar to the Spitz aside from being more likely to wander off alone or with the other Buff.
Can anyone help me figure out which one will be the keeper and better for my girls?

View attachment 1077516 View attachment 1077519 View attachment 1077521 View attachment 1077522 View attachment 1077532 Currently have 8 crested, 6 polish and 2 appenzeller spitzhauben that are almost 3 months old. Recently noticed 1 Spitz, 1 WC Blue Polish, and possibly 1 Bearded Buff Polish (hard to tell the difference because of the beard) were roosters. I also have 2 Brahma,2 Delaware, 4 RIR hens. I was going to keep 1 rooster and get rid of the others, just can't decide which one. The WC Blue seems a little lost and goofier, the Spitz is definitly more aware of the others location and smarter in general. The Bearded Buff is similar to the Spitz aside from being more likely to wander off alone or with the other Buff.
Can anyone help me figure out which one will be the keeper and better for my girls?
They are pretty young yet to judge them. What I do is remove any troublemakers, generally between 4-7 months some can really become terrors with too much breeding and potentially harassing the pullets. Sometimes it can take a rooster a year or more before their final personality shows.

I am partial to buff laced so that would be my favorite based on looks alone.

Here is a Frizzle Polish bantam rooster I had around a year ago. I had to sell him due to space issues (one of my biggest regrets). He was such a character, I loved his funky personality and hairdo.
IMG_8049.JPG
IMG_8060.JPG

I recently contacted the person who bought him, and ordered a pair of his chicks. Hopefully will get them next week. Super excited to get back into keeping this breed!

Back
Top Bottom