Chicken Breed Focus - Polish

Pics
They are pretty young yet to judge them. What I do is remove any troublemakers, generally between 4-7 months some can really become terrors with too much breeding and potentially harassing the pullets. Sometimes it can take a rooster a year or more before their final personality shows.

I am partial to buff laced so that would be my favorite based on looks alone.
Thank you for your reply. I will definitely keep an eye on them. They roam about 2 acres in my horse pasture during the day, so they generally stay far enough away from each other to coexist. I find it such a cooincidence that I got a hen and a roo of each color aside from the WC Black and Splash White one.

The Polish or Poland breed is best known for its elaborate crest of feathers that nearly cover the entirety of the head. This crest limits their vision and as a result can affect their temperament. Thus, though normally tame, they may be timid and easily frightened.

The oldest accounts of this breed come from The Netherlands, but their exact origins are unknown. One theory suggests that their ancestors were brought by Asian Mongols to Eastern Europe during medieval times, and thus, could have originated in Poland. It is also believed that immigrants brought the breed's predecessors from Spain or Italy in the late 16th century. The Polish was standardised in the Netherlands and declared a thoroughbred in the 16th century already. The American Poultry Association states that the breed was introduced to the USA between 1830 and 1840. The breed was, during a certain period of time, much favoured by American farmers and chicken fanciers.

Polish chickens are bred primarily for ornamental purposes and exhibition, but were originally productive egg layers. Polish hens rarely go broody and are noted for their white eggs.

The American Poultry Association accepted three Polish varieties into the American Poultry Association’s Standard of Perfection in 1874; additional varieties were accepted in 1883, 1938 and 1963. There are bearded, non-bearded and frizzle varieties of this breed.

Details:

Purpose: Ornamental; Exhibition
Egg Production: 200 eggs annually
Recognised Colours/Varieties: Bearded and Non-Bearded White, Bearded Buff Laced, Bearded and Non-Bearded Golden, Non-Bearded Black/White crested, Non-Bearded Buff Laced and Non-Bearded Silver

Pic by @dreamwallaby

Pic by @geojane42

Pic by @Yorkshire Coop

Pic by @CarriBrown

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/polish

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/355316/polish-thread/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/585953/i-have-to-talk-polish/0_30
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/395888/tolbunt-polish/0_30

Do you own Polish? Are you a Polish breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!
I bought 14 white laced polish eggs and i had a successful hatch of 11 chicks, all are whilte laced except for one he is golden laced, i'm guessing genetics, they are now 7 weeks old.
Although they are beautiful birds, i don't like them much because they don't trust you and don't like to be handled, this is because of their short eye sight caused by the crest, but this makes them very jumpy, i only keep them because they are good money makers. But i personally prefer silkies.

Hi All!! I have a Golden Laced Polish that I'm wondering if they are a he or she! Any thoughts from anyone with more experience than me (very very little!) Some days I see pointier feathers up top, others days rounded. I've also read in here a bit about trimming their head feathers or banding them up - I would love to hear more about this (are there certain feathers or a certain way to trim or a best way to band up the feathers? I don't want to hurt him/her but nervous I'll do it wrong!) S/he is sweet but oh scared of everything - jumps around all crazy like (thus the name "Scrambled"). She is the smallest of her same age brood-mates (two RIR) but I don't know how they typically compare in size. Looking to learn all I can about her/him! These pictures are about 2 weeks ago ... chick was brought home Apr 28, less than a week old probably so guessing about 11-12 weeks now (9-10 in the pictures). The last picture (on the roof of their house) is from tonight. Thanks for any help/advice!!

20170705_171930.jpg 20170705_172007.jpg 20170705_171950.jpg
20170718_200946.jpg

Hi All!! I have a Golden Laced Polish that I'm wondering if they are a he or she! Any thoughts from anyone with more experience than me (very very little!) Some days I see pointier feathers up top, others days rounded. I've also read in here a bit about trimming their head feathers or banding them up - I would love to hear more about this (are there certain feathers or a certain way to trim or a best way to band up the feathers? I don't want to hurt him/her but nervous I'll do it wrong!) S/he is sweet but oh scared of everything - jumps around all crazy like (thus the name "Scrambled"). She is the smallest of her same age brood-mates (two RIR) but I don't know how they typically compare in size. Looking to learn all I can about her/him! These pictures are about 2 weeks ago ... chick was brought home Apr 28, less than a week old probably so guessing about 11-12 weeks now (9-10 in the pictures). The last picture (on the roof of their house) is from tonight. Thanks for any help/advice!!

View attachment 1081686 View attachment 1081687 View attachment 1081688
View attachment 1081695
Looks like a pullet. Roosters will have pretty big wattles and a red comb by that age.

I trim my polish. They are a flighty hysterical breed. Trimming can help them see what is coming. They still will over react, but not as bad. Generally my husband holds them while I pinch feathers and trim them back to a small poof. They promptly grow out to a shaggy look, but it works.

Looks like a pullet. Roosters will have pretty big wattles and a red comb by that age.

I trim my polish. They are a flighty hysterical breed. Trimming can help them see what is coming. They still will over react, but not as bad. Generally my husband holds them while I pinch feathers and trim them back to a small poof. They promptly grow out to a shaggy look, but it works.

Thanks! I'm really hoping for a pullet - I've been leaning towards thinking that since there are literally no wattles yet at all (but I think she's bearded so don't know if they'll show much)!

I know this may be a silly question, but can you hurt them by trimming feathers or is it like trimming hair and it doesn't hurt??!! I'm worried it's like trimming the dog's nails and getting into the quick is a bad thing. I can see if she'll let me try anything ... been working to get her to know my hand and voice. Maybe when it's dusk and she's getting sleepy. She is definitely a flight bird and jumps at everything. I would like her to see a little clearer if possible.

Thanks! I'm really hoping for a pullet - I've been leaning towards thinking that since there are literally no wattles yet at all (but I think she's bearded so don't know if they'll show much)!

I know this may be a silly question, but can you hurt them by trimming feathers or is it like trimming hair and it doesn't hurt??!! I'm worried it's like trimming the dog's nails and getting into the quick is a bad thing. I can see if she'll let me try anything ... been working to get her to know my hand and voice. Maybe when it's dusk and she's getting sleepy. She is definitely a flight bird and jumps at everything. I would like her to see a little clearer if possible.
When new feathers are coming in there's a blood supply to them so you shouldn't generally trim them. They usually will be encased in a sheath. Otherwise cutting the feathers causes no pain.

My polish that are bearded also get those feathers trimmed abit too. If you follow my link in my signature to pictures of some of my flock there's a photo of my 4 buff laced polish hens with their trimmed crest.

I'm not sure if you can ever totally calm down a polish chicken. They are certainly more reactive than other breeds.

When new feathers are coming in there's a blood supply to them so you shouldn't generally trim them. They usually will be encased in a sheath. Otherwise cutting the feathers causes no pain.

My polish that are bearded also get those feathers trimmed abit too. If you follow my link in my signature to pictures of some of my flock there's a photo of my 4 buff laced polish hens with their trimmed crest.

I'm not sure if you can ever totally calm down a polish chicken. They are certainly more reactive than other breeds.
Good to know about new feathers. Pretty sure her top hat feathers are good to trim then ... Will study up a bit on then and also check out your link. I like her silly flighty self so it's ok if she doesn't calm too much. She's in a fully enclosed pen so she can't get to far!

Here's my polish.white crested blue (poptart)and white crested black(pompom)

Sorry they are a little wet but I can get better pics when I'm back from vacation my dad is watching them right now.
Screenshot_2017-07-07-09-53-35.png
Screenshot_2017-07-07-09-44-26.png

Hello! I have 3 standard sized polish hens, all of laying and breeding age, but only one egg a day ;( I'm feeding 20% egg ration , plus healthy hen and feather fixer by nutrena! There not hiding eggs cause I walk the pen every day, is there anything else I can feed or do to get them all to lay??

Hello! I have 3 standard sized polish hens, all of laying and breeding age, but only one egg a day ;( I'm feeding 20% egg ration , plus healthy hen and feather fixer by nutrena! There not hiding eggs cause I walk the pen every day, is there anything else I can feed or do to get them all to lay??

I have three laying polish hens as well, i take great care of them, once i got two eggs in a day, then two eggs the next day as well, but right now it has been two days and no eggs at all, i think this is just how they lay, they are too random, plus polish don't lay a lot of eggs so you have to keep that in mind. I think you're lucky to get an egg every day.

Back
Top Bottom