Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Sebrights probably have the most personality of any breed of any animal in the world!
tongue.png

My rooster, Mr. Dottie (silver sebright), was noisy from day one, loved to grow, and was a GREAT breeder. He was aggressive towards me, so we had to get rid of him, but he was the first boy I used in my new breeding project.
My hen, a golden sebright, named Beauty won't let anyone mess with her. She is the boss and she knows it. She is aggressive towards other chickens, killed a lower hens chicks, and protects her babies VERY well. Their babies start calling around others for food very early, crowing very early, and my sebright mixes started fighting at week one.
However, they are beautiful, my new sebright mixes are very friendly, and I find they lay much better then any other bantam I have worked with. My hen goes broody regularly and they do well even in below zero temperatures. They are also good foragers and do well in hot weather too. They are a great bantam to work with.
I know mine aren't show quality, but I like it that they are so hardy. Are show quality sebrights weaker?

What made you decide to get this breed?: I got my original chicks in a mixed batch of four bantams from the feed store. Since then I have bought more for my breeding project
Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?: Mainly for fun, though I do cross breed them as a hobby project
What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?: They always have something unique and interesting about them

One of my new Sebright chicks. Very independent, even though they have a broody momma that teaches them.

My sebright mixes, which I called Twilights. Very friendly, but were fighting by week one and at just three or four weeks the main rooster is trying his hand at some pitiful crows.

Beauty, raised among standard chickens, she holds her own just fine.

Mr. Dottie, showing off

A sebright mix, which we called Banshees because they were vicious little things and even crowed

Beauty with two chicks

· What made you decide to get this breed?
We didn't. My daughter's 4H science project required fertile eggs. i got an assortment from a local breeder, which included a couple bantam eggs. One little Sebright - "Trouble" - was amoung the hatch results. Trouble seems to hold her own, so we kept her - for now.

· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?

She's only 8 wks old, so we're not sure if Trouble will stay on as a permanent flock member. (& We've already had an offer to buy.) Of course my DD's fav argument is that a sebright is so small, it doesn't even count as a chicken.

· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
We're used to Orpingtons. A nice, big, docile, non-flying, breed. The Sebright doesn't like to be picked up, but will perch like a parrot on my fingers, hand, arm, shoulder, & lap. Can't do that with an orp! We only have 4' fence, so my fear is that she'll fly to the neighbors' or decide not to come back to the coop at night. For now, we're working on training her to jump onto a hand when called & thankfully, she loves getting treats.

· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

This is Trouble at about 7 wks. I'm pretty sure a female.

I wanted sebrights but I never knew if my big chickens would hurt them or kill them is it a good idea to get them with my big chickens?

I have a mixed flock & my little guy was fine with the bigger ladies. The only issue I've had is that his 5 month old son ended up much bigger than him & attacked him pretty good last week. Before the teenage hormone stage kicked in, the two of them got along just fine despite the size difference.

I have a mixed flock & my little guy was fine with the bigger ladies. The only issue I've had is that his 5 month old son ended up much bigger than him & attacked him pretty good last week. Before the teenage hormone stage kicked in, the two of them got along just fine despite the size difference.

x2, my sebright hen even likes my 9 lb rock rooster over any of the little guys. However, I raised the rock rooster with my sebright rooster, and my little sebright just LOVED fighting and ended up getting beat up for that also. However, the hens seem to do fine.

Back
Top Bottom