Chicken Breed Focus - Sebright

Pics
My son has shown his pair for 4H and I had a friend who's boys also showed theirs, what I know is that they look doe smaller birds here's photos of our pair they he showed which did well ( especially the rooster - we got them at a Poultry breeders show in Central Flo

rida

Here's Trouble coming in for a landing! I took this pic when we had a nice spring 60'F day in January. (It's back down to 20'F now.
sad.png
)

Trouble is our only Sebright & the only tiny bantam in a sea of giant Orpingtons. She makes up for her size with noise, speed, & agility.

Some of you may remember Trouble's famous video: (OK I might be exaggerating about the "famous" part, but we're still proud.)

0.jpg

Here's Trouble coming in for a landing! I took this pic when we had a nice spring 60'F day in January. (It's back down to 20'F now.
sad.png
)

Trouble is our only Sebright & the only tiny bantam in a sea of giant Orpingtons. She makes up for her size with noise, speed, & agility.

Some of you may remember Trouble's famous video: (OK I might be exaggerating about the "famous" part, but we're still proud.)

0.jpg

It is so nice to hear from Trouble again! And what an awesome pic. It's funny that you think we don't remember that video. Certain parties among us told everyone we know about it....
smile.png

It is so nice to hear from Trouble again! And what an awesome pic. It's funny that you think we don't remember that video. Certain parties among us told everyone we know about it....
smile.png
Well, thank you. Trouble "thinks" she's famous & the queen hen of the coop. All visitors come here to see HER & bring her treats. Even some of the neighbor stop by, call her by name, & hold out their arm to allow her to land & take a special treat. Nope. She's not spoiled at all!

Meanwhile, DD wants her training video to go viral, so go ahead & please share. (The high hopes & dreams of a middle school kid....LOL) Currently, her sci fair project involves hatching store eggs. We could not find fertile chicken eggs, but she did find fertile quail eggs from the grocery store, farmers' market, & a backyard breeder. She hatched them over Thanksgiving & they're now laying eggs even smaller than Sebright eggs! She's gotta train everything, so the tiny quail imprinted on her. Over Christmas break while they were still in the house, she would call & the little quail would follow her as she walked through the house. Although I highly frowned at her ideas of having free-range house quail, it was adorable to watch the kids play with their baby quail. Currently the quail are in the garage. She lets them run around when she cleans the cage & as soon as she calls, they all come running back to her. We only kept 3 females & 1 male , but each has a name & she can tell the females apart. Perhaps she'll try training quail next.

DD's fav is the male. He still gets daily house visits. She made him a room in her dollhouse, so he hangs out with Barbie while she does her math. After that, he gets some snuggle time while DD reads..

TV time is always better with poultry

Day old quail

Life is just more interesting with kids & poultry.

It's so good to find this thread, with all the wonderful pics and so much information. I am having some Golden Sebright eggs shipped, and so I hope to have chicks hatched within a month.
fl.gif

How difficult are Sebright eggs to incubate? I've had a good success rate with other types of shipped eggs.

If I can get these pretty little birds to hatch, they will eventually be joining Silkies that are five months older, and Brahmas that will be about six weeks older. Does this sound like a mix that might work? So far, the young Silkies (4 months) are very accepting of the tiny Brahmas (2 weeks) during 'playdates.' I am wondering if the Sebrights will hold their own with older/larger birds.

Also, if they free-range, are they likely to stay on the property? So far, the Silkies, Red Stars and RIR do a wonderful job of staying in a close area, but I hear that Sebrights are great flyers and may take off. Is that so?

Thanks for any input, as this breed is new to me. I know they aren't stellar for egg production, but I just couldn't resist the incredible cuteness.
love.gif

It's so good to find this thread, with all the wonderful pics and so much information. I am having some Golden Sebright eggs shipped, and so I hope to have chicks hatched within a month.
fl.gif

How difficult are Sebright eggs to incubate? I've had a good success rate with other types of shipped eggs.

If I can get these pretty little birds to hatch, they will eventually be joining Silkies that are five months older, and Brahmas that will be about six weeks older. Does this sound like a mix that might work? So far, the young Silkies (4 months) are very accepting of the tiny Brahmas (2 weeks) during 'playdates.' I am wondering if the Sebrights will hold their own with older/larger birds.

Also, if they free-range, are they likely to stay on the property? So far, the Silkies, Red Stars and RIR do a wonderful job of staying in a close area, but I hear that Sebrights are great flyers and may take off. Is that so?

Thanks for any input, as this breed is new to me. I know they aren't stellar for egg production, but I just couldn't resist the incredible cuteness.
love.gif
I've heard that Sebrights are tough to breed. Not sure if its because of their feisty attitudes, fertility issues, or difficult incubation.

They have a lot of attitude for such little chickens. They are excellent flyers too. We hatched our Sebright (2 Sebright eggs were thrown in with our Maran eggs as extras when our DD told the lady they were cute. One hatched & was used to befriend a lonely only Dominique chick who hatched about the same time. The sebright was not supposed to be a permanent flock member. Let's just say that we do not own any Marans & still have our silver sebright. LOL)

Our sebright is named Trouble & for good reasons. In order to be able to somewhat control her, we trained her to fly up on command. (DD did this as a 4H project.)
Here's the funny video:

Trouble believes she is the queen of the coop and she adds so much personality that I couldn't imagine our flock without her. The top hens sleep on the highest roost, but little Trouble sleeps above them in the window sil. (She's the only one small enough to fit there.) We did not try clipping her wing because we want her to be able to escape predators. The neighbors will call her over for visits & she will easily fly over the 4' fence to greet them. Thankfully she stays in our backyard most of the time. I believe she stays because this is where her flock stays. None of the other chickens can come close to hoping the fence. I am not sure if there were multiple Sebrights that she'd stay. The only sebright breeder we met always kept them enclosed & did not allow them to free range.

As far as holding their own, in our case Trouble has no problems living with giant English Orpingtons. Most of our hens weight about 10 lbs & our big roo is about 14. She makes up for her little size by being fast & vocal. She went broody 3xs last year. Twice I allowed her to hatch & she was an excellent, highly dedicated mama. When broody, she adopted any chick at any age and watched over them until 7 weeks old. (Our other broody will only adopt chicks in the 1st 2 days, then attack newcomers.) Because it is impossible for our giant roos to mate her, Trouble had to hatch fertile orpington eggs. The chicks grew larger than her by 3.5 weeks old, but she didn't care.

Speaking of Trouble, yesterday I brought my camera out to take some flock pics. I got this interesting pic just as Trouble took to the air. It looks like she's in a strange chicken burlesque show.
lau.gif

Here are some of Trouble's flockmates:

my giant English orp hens (These were both Trouble's babies.)

My bantam orp & persistent broody hen

a CCL

Brick -our smaller roo ( a double barred choc cuckoo orpington)

Moose - our biggest roo, a lav orp (also raised by Trouble')

Past pic of Trouble raising her 3 "babies" Moose is the one laying in the grass.

Back
Top Bottom