Chicken breed?

Awesome, thank you so much! I was at a loss with the black ones because there’s so many breeds of black chickens that all look alike. I thought the white might be americana’s. The reason why I’m asking is because I’m getting light blue eggs and I’m wondering who is laying them LOL

Well I would bet those blue eggs are coming from a bearded bird. The brahma would lay a light brown egg so not from her.

How many others in the flock?
If you post individual pics of each one I am sure we can help identify the breeds.

Awesome, thank you so much! I was at a loss with the black ones because there’s so many breeds of black chickens that all look alike. I thought the white might be americana’s. The reason why I’m asking is because I’m getting light blue eggs and I’m wondering who is laying them LOL
The light blue eggs are coming from the Easter Egger, which is the bird with the fluffy cheeks.

The reason why I’m asking is because I’m getting light blue eggs and I’m wondering who is laying them

In the very first picture, the farthest back bird is white with black at the neck and tail, and feathers on her feet. She looks like a Light Brahma, and probably lays light brown eggs.

Also in that picture, I see at least two black birds with extra-feathery faces (beard under the chin and muffs on the sides of the face). They are the front bird, and the second-from-back bird. They also have the same kind of comb on their head as the Brahma (pea combs, small and lumpy.) They probably lay blue eggs.

Still looking at the first picture, the middle black bird has no muffs & beard, and she has a single comb (taller but narrower than the pea combs on the others.) Her red wattles (under the chin) are easy to see because there's no feathery beard hiding them. She probably lays brown eggs. She is likely to be Black Australorp or a Jersey Giant, but I can't be sure.

At the front right corner of the picture I see a bit of white chicken with feathered feet. I can't see enough to tell what kind that one is.

If you really want to be sure of who is laying what, you can spend a whole day watching them :D

Or you can put one in a cage alone until she lays an egg, then a different hen another day, until you have them all figured out.

Or if blue eggs are the only color you are getting, you can just look at the vent (butt) of each hen to see who is laying. A hen that is not laying has a small, puckered vent. A hen that lays eggs has a larger, softer-looking, stretchy-looking vent (because it is big enough and stretchy enough for an egg to come out.) If you look at them all, the difference is often pretty obvious.

I've also read of people putting food coloring or lipstick on a hen's vent, a different color for each hen, then looking for color on the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom