Chicken Breeds Health Problems

First I'd like to see some actual evidence that certain breeds of chicken absolutely do have certain health problems.

I asked the OP twice to validate her claims of birds being in pain with scientific evidence. She chose not to.
Well, I started with Langshans, and after I got them the breeder said that in general Langshans were too large to be able to use a roost without leg problems developing from jumping down off the roost. The original cockbird and his replacement offspring became lame over time. As this breed was known for being able to fly and roost in trees when first imported, I consider this an example of bad breeding for the sake of other traits rewarded in the show ring.
Lots of pain when being forced to run by another more dominant not lame cockbird. If they didn’t have pain they would not be spending most of their time not using their legs.

Well, I started with Langshans, and after I got them the breeder said that in general Langshans were too large to be able to use a roost without leg problems developing from jumping down off the roost. The original cockbird and his replacement offspring became lame over time. As this breed was known for being able to fly and roost in trees when first imported, I consider this an example of bad breeding for the sake of other traits rewarded in the show ring.
Lots of pain when being forced to run by another more dominant not lame cockbird. If they didn’t have pain they would not be spending most of their time not using their legs.

Do you have proof that this is widespread in the breed?

Low perches are recommended for all large, heavy breeds, not just Langshans. :)

Do you have proof that this is widespread in the breed?

Low perches are recommended for all large, heavy breeds, not just Langshans. :)
I think you just answered your own question, with low perches being recommended for all large breeds. I was told this by a show breeder and also experienced the problem twice, enough proof for me.
That said, other people have other priorities and are willing to tolerate a breed’s shortcomings. I was going by the original book of characteristics from the first birds imported from China, and they were said to be good flyers and liked roosting in trees. Their weight was recorded as the same as they are today.

I think you just answered your own question, with low perches being recommended for all large breeds. I was told this by a show breeder and also experienced the problem twice, enough proof for me.
That said, other people have other priorities and are willing to tolerate a breed’s shortcomings. I was going by the original book of characteristics from the first birds imported from China, and they were said to be good flyers and liked roosting in trees. Their weight was recorded as the same as they are today.

I don't consider being too heavy to fly well a problem.

It keeps them in the fence without me having to build it up to ridiculous heights.

I don't consider being too heavy to fly well a problem.

It keeps them in the fence without me having to build it up to ridiculous heights.
Yes, the only area around here that is safe is the garden behind an 8’ high fence.
The ”thinking” behind this is from hearing about dogs getting into fenced runs and wiping out the lot. I know of two people locally who had this happen. So, hoping that if I ever get rampaging dogs, some birds will be able to get up into trees to evade them.

Yes, the only area around here that is safe is the garden behind an 8’ high fence.
The ”thinking” behind this is from hearing about dogs getting into fenced runs and wiping out the lot. I know of two people locally who had this happen. So, hoping that if I ever get rampaging dogs, some birds will be able to get up into trees to evade them.

I hope that my electric fence would deter dogs.

I find chasing flyers to get them back into the run very annoying. Also, large birds are less tempting to hawks and we have quite a few hawks in our area.

I hope that my electric fence would deter dogs.

I find chasing flyers to get them back into the run very annoying. Also, large birds are less tempting to hawks and we have quite a few hawks in our area.
I KNOW mine will - it stopped the neighbors (commercial business) hog-hunting dogs in the their tracks. Repeatedly.

Back
Top Bottom