Chicken breeds that are not gmo?

footfeathers

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 13, 2014
GMO stands for genetically modified organism.
My family and I are organic and non-gmo, and because of this we are wanting to raise our own "organic" chickens, we have much experience in raising them, also.
Since most chickens are raised on gmo feeds or are even genetically modified themselves we've been having a hard time searching for chickens that are not.
I am needing roosters and hens that have been raised organic/non gmo (preferably from a completely non gmo genetic history). Any breed of chicken larger than the bantam/banty breeds is okay.
We are located in the central Oklahoma area, if this helps.
If you know of any breeders please reply ASAP.
Thank you!
smile.png

Last edited:
GMO stands for genetically modified organism.
My family and I are organic and non-gmo, and because of this we are wanting to raise our own chickens.
Since most chickens are raised on gmo corn, soy, canola, etc. or are even genetically modified themselves we've been having a hard time searching for chickens that are not.
I am needing chickens that have been raised organic/non gmo (preferably from a completely non gmo genetic history).
I am located in the central Oklahoma area, near Purcell, if that helps.
Any breed of chicken larger than the bantam/banty breed is okay.
I am also interested in organic non gmo feeds that contain no corn, soy or canola.
If you know of any breeders that raise chickens like this please reply ASAP.
Thank you!
smile.png

There is a common misconception that these birds are genetically modified.

Read more: http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/cornish-cross-heritage-chickens.aspx#ixzz2ynib0x1S

all you would need are Hatching eggs from Heritage breeds like Delawares that were grass fed, and thats it, the chicks will be all natural once you feed them whatever you feel is good for you

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

No chickens are gentically modified. Selective breeding is a wonderful thing, as is having enough money to throw at your breeding. That's where birds like cornish cross come from, as well as high production leghorns. No genetic modification.

There's a buy/sell/trade section, as well as a state thread, in addition to threads on specific breeds. Look around some, find breeds you like and I'll bet you can find some breeder that does organic on your chosen breed(s).

Thank you much for replying and supplying the link!

I do understand that not all chickens have been genetically modified (although I definitely believe those breeds have), but also cross contamination through breeding is not impossible. (I do not mean to harm your opinions!)
We do not want chickens that have been fed gmo feeds at all or that have been bred to gm breeds because the side-effects are not good. Hope we don't sound crazy lol.
My family and I have SEVERE allergies to anything pesticidal, hormonal, chemical, genetically modified, et cetera. This is why we are worried about just getting 'any' chicken.
We're planning on just testing the waters with a few chickens at first, they don't have to be specially bred for meat, we just want calm, kind, smart chickens that are good for most things including laying.
Grass fed only chickens seem like they could be a possibility, do you have any information on breeders? Thanks!
D.gif

I see you're still holding to the idea that some chickens are GMO. Well, they are not, but there is no sense in trying to convince you otherwise.

As was said, all you need is eggs. Hatch them, feed them that which you prefer and they'll be the chickens of your desires.

Best of luck to you.

I'd suggest you import some Red Jungle Fowl from Asia. Every breed of chicken has been genetically modified by selective breeding, as has every breed of cow, pig, goat, etc. AFAIK, wild deer would be ok. Squirrels and groundhogs also, no one has any interest in selectively breeding those.

Also, you must refrain from all corn, wheat, oats, etc. for the same reasons. All vegetables and fruits that are cultivated are also genetically modified. Be careful with wild stuff too. There are no native apple trees in America, they were brought over from Europe and some have naturalized here (remember Johnny appleseed?), but they all originally came from genetically modified stock.

Last edited:
It is perfectly "normal" to desire organic birds. There is an entire market and a large number of raisers, both of meat birds and eggs that produce for that market a market that is growing. Non-gmo, organic eggs fetch a nicer margin. Not a thing wrong with the desire at all.

An organic bird must be fed organic from hatch. That's the definition. It isn't that difficult at all.

The only observation that needed to be made was that no chickens are genetically modified.
Edited to add: Not in the sense that the OP meant it.

Of course, all living things adapt and evolve over time. Yes, chickens get "modified" by selective breeding, but this is mere natural selection, not cracking, injecting or splicing a gene in the laboratory. When my father and mother produced me, I am a modified creature, being neither my mother nor my father in genetics, not identically.

Last edited:
Freedom Ranger hatchery is offering chicks this year from parents on non-GMO feed.

http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/freedom-ranger-chickens.asp

Freedom Ranger Chickens - GMO Free Parent Stock

In addition to our standard line of high quality Freedom Ranger broilers, we offer a special line of chicks produced from our GMO Free flock. We maintain a parent flock of Freedom Ranger chickens who are feed a strict diet non-GMO feeds in order to offer chicks whose parent flock is not fed genetically modified grains

Freedom Ranger hatchery is offering chicks this year from parents on non-GMO feed.

http://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/freedom-ranger-chickens.asp

Freedom Ranger Chickens - GMO Free Parent Stock

In addition to our standard line of high quality Freedom Ranger broilers, we offer a special line of chicks produced from our GMO Free flock. We maintain a parent flock of Freedom Ranger chickens who are feed a strict diet non-GMO feeds in order to offer chicks whose parent flock is not fed genetically modified grains
wow thats so cool

Back
Top Bottom