chicken broody or what,what to do?

Summerbirds

Songster
Jan 27, 2018
Canada
we have 4 chickens who are 1 year old and the smallest one has gone broody we were so happy so we went :jumpy to get hatching eggs from a friend but when we got back she was off the nesting box but later she was back on for a bit then she was off the next day we gave her all the hatching eggs she sat on them for a very long time then she was off and on the nesting box.is she broody? what should we do??

Sounds like she is prebroody.Dont get excited because a hen is sitting for a long time,unless she is being fairly aggressive and sitting for hours on end(Not a number one indication,almost all hens are protective of nests even if they aren’t broody,it’s almost like an instinct I guess)or if she is sitting with her tail laid back and laying completely flat and sitting for hours on end ,just sitting there no reactions.Give her four or five days if this kind of behavior is going on and see if she actually goes broody.If this behavior is going on but she is still not nesting at night or as much as she should,usually means soon in a few days she will.After a day of her sitting and not getting up but maybe for a drink or eat in the mornings or throughout the day,this squally means she is broody,also if she has plucked underneath her completely all but bareskin and heat,this usually means she is gone full blown,then you add fertilize eggs.
Good luck,maybe take the eggs away and when she sits for good try giving them to her,eggs are usually good up until about a month,not sure how long you’re have though.

Young hens can be very unreliable as broody mamas. It sounds like she's broody, but, like you said, she keeps getting on and off the nest. This could kill any eggs you put under her. If you're really serious, you can isolate her in a pet crate with the eggs and try to force her to get into a more "broody mood". But it's probably best to just give her another year. She will probably go broody again since she has already. :)

thank you, i may leave some eggs in the nesting box but if she does does not go broody within a few day i will take the eggs and get new ones when she is 100% broody

I do not give eggs until I know a hen is dedicated. That means all day and night on the nest for at least three days. A broody will usually get off the nest for a bit every day to eat, drink, poop and dust bathe. Those breaks can last anywhere from 10-30 minutes, give or take. If you want to be sure she's going to set, leave sone golf balls or ceramic eggs in the nest rather than eggs. That way you won't waste eggs or get broken, rotten eggs in the nest.

Back
Top Bottom