Chicken came down with heatstroke

mustangrooster

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
A little on the crazy side.
So,

Yesterday my bantam came down with heatstroke, a very bad case of it too. Thought she was nearly dead. Poor baby. I rushed her to cool water and emerged her whole body in it (minus the head). She seemed to slowly be getting better until this morning.
She is simply just sprawled out in her cage, her feet and legs are rather hot, and her eyes are closed. Every time I try to correct her to a sitting position she simply sprawls out again. I know that she is most likely dehydrated, and I put together some sugar water, but she isn't really drinking it even when I dip her beak into the water. I worry about syringe/tube feeding her because of how limp her neck is.

I really don’t know what to do.Any help is appreciated?

i've never syringe fed a bantam, but our araucana got sick and dehydrated as a younger chick, i think from eating some pink foam insulation.

she also would not drink any water on her own, and was extremley lethargic.

if you have a syringe that you can fit in there, i think that's the way to go. we did a 50/50 blend of water and pedialyte and our bird recovered within a few hours and a few syringes.

if you've never done syringe feeding be very careful, it has to be pushed in much deeper than you expect to make sure you do not allow water to enter their lungs through that hole.

i know for me if i didn't do it, i'd always think about it later. 'what if i syringe fed...'

i've never syringe fed a bantam, but our araucana got sick and dehydrated as a younger chick, i think from eating some pink foam insulation.

she also would not drink any water on her own, and was extremley lethargic.

if you have a syringe that you can fit in there, i think that's the way to go. we did a 50/50 blend of water and pedialyte and our bird recovered within a few hours and a few syringes.

if you've never done syringe feeding be very careful, it has to be pushed in much deeper than you expect to make sure you do not allow water to enter their lungs through that hole.

i know for me if i didn't do it, i'd always think about it later. 'what if i syringe fed...'

Thank you.

I do usually syringe feed my sick birds but; I have a feeling its simply just going to be a bad idea with her. She is having mini seizures/spasms currently.... I’m not sure that she’s going to make it.

She almost seems drunk, which I'm not surprised, 40-degree weather can be a killer for such a small bird.

So,
Yesterday my bantam came down with heatstroke, a very bad case of it too. Thought she was nearly dead. Poor baby. I rushed her to cool water and emerged her whole body in it
She is simply just sprawled out in her cage, her feet and legs are rather hot, and her eyes are closed. Every time I try to correct her to a sitting position she simply sprawls out again.

Thank you.
I do usually syringe feed my sick birds but; I have a feeling its simply just going to be a bad idea with her. She is having mini seizures/spasms currently.... I’m not sure that she’s going to make it.
She almost seems drunk, which I'm not surprised, 40-degree weather can be a killer for such a small bird.
@mustangrooster knowing your general location would be helpful.
Is your 40-degree weather in C or F??

How old is your bantam?
With heatstroke it can take several days to recover. All you can do is try to get her hydrated. Hydration first! Then a little wet mushy feed.

The seizures/spasms are concerning. I'm hoping that she is feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom