Chicken can't stand

Alicrawf914

In the Brooder
Sep 7, 2020
My silkie Muffin had lice and mites. I am not sure how long he had them before I noticed. He was off balance and limping on his left leg. He is now not able to stand or walk. He can kick both legs and put weight on his left one. He won't push at all with his right one and doesn't move his toes. I have had him on vitamins for 5 days now but havn't seen any improvement. Is this just a vitamin deficiency? How long does it take to see improvement? Or is it his Mareks that he is a carrier for?

My silkie Muffin had lice and mites. I am not sure how long he had them before I noticed. He was off balance and limping on his left leg. He is now not able to stand or walk. He can kick both legs and put weight on his left one. He won't push at all with his right one and doesn't move his toes. I have had him on vitamins for 5 days now but havn't seen any improvement. Is this just a vitamin deficiency? How long does it take to see improvement? Or is it his Mareks that he is a carrier for?
Sorry that Muffin is not well.
Have you been able to get rid of the lice and mites?

What vitamins have you given him and what do you feed?
What do you normally feed?
How old is he?

Marek's would be a possibility, sometimes the best you can do is offer supportive care unless you figure out if something else may be the cause of his decline. B vitamins are good to give so look at your vitamins and see what the ingredients are.

Sorry that Muffin is not well.
Have you been able to get rid of the lice and mites?

What vitamins have you given him and what do you feed?
What do you normally feed?
How old is he?

Marek's would be a possibility, sometimes the best you can do is offer supportive care unless you figure out if something else may be the cause of his decline. B vitamins are good to give so look at your vitamins and see what the ingredients are.
He is around 7 or 8 months old. We were able to get rid of the lice and mites. We have been giving him Rooster Booster Poultry Cell for about 5 days now. We feed him an organic grower feed from a local mill.

He is around 7 or 8 months old. We were able to get rid of the lice and mites. We have been giving him Rooster Booster Poultry Cell for about 5 days now. We feed him an organic grower feed from a local mill.
Sounds like you are doing what you can for him.
Is he eating/drinking on his own?

Some folks place their birds in sling for short periods of time to get them upright and to see if that will help them regain the use of their legs. That may be something to look into.

Sounds like you are doing what you can for him.
Is he eating/drinking on his own?

Some folks place their birds in sling for short periods of time to get them upright and to see if that will help them regain the use of their legs. That may be something to look into.

He will eat and drink some if I put it in front of him, probably not as much as he needs to, but he is at least still eating and drinking. Thank you for the help. We actually just made him a sling today to try.

He seems to have been less sleepy and more alert the past couple days. He is eating and drinking more also, but he still is unable to move his toes on his right leg and wont put weight on it.

Back
Top Bottom