Chicken cant walk?!

Merylyn

Chirping
Jul 23, 2020
I got some chickens this family didnt want anymore and one of them couldnt walk properly or at all and looked extermley obese we tried to make him lose some weight. And walk around more but he died shortly after and now one of the underweight chickens is experiencing the same issue except she wont eat or drink and her wings are limp and even though she you can feel all her bones and no muscle or weight she has a huge soft belly that looks like its going to pop and she looks like she is going to die any minute idk if its mareks or if shes old (she looks very young).

If she does die, keep her body cold, and on Monday, take or send it to your state poultry vet for a necropsy. If her lower belly is very large, she might have ascites or water belly from reproductive issues or cancer. Symptoms of Mareks include lameness in one or both legs, imbalance, and they may lie down with one leg to the back and one leg forward. Other issues, such as moldy feed, reproductive infections, dehydration, or eating something bad for them can look like Mareks. A necropsy is the best way to get a diagnosis. Here are the state poultry vets listed:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

If she does die, keep her body cold, and on Monday, take or send it to your state poultry vet for a necropsy. If her lower belly is very large, she might have ascites or water belly from reproductive issues or cancer. Symptoms of Mareks include lameness in one or both legs, imbalance, and they may lie down with one leg to the back and one leg forward. Other issues, such as moldy feed, reproductive infections, dehydration, or eating something bad for them can look like Mareks. A necropsy is the best way to get a diagnosis. Here are the state poultry vets listed:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm
She has gotten better and started to drink but not eat she cant poop and if i massage the vent liquid poop comes out and she waddles when she walks does that mean she is egg bound? If not its ascites.

Three is actually old enough to suffer from common reproductive disorders, oviduct cancer, and ascites (water belly.) Many times we don’t know exactly what was wrong until after death when we can do a necropsy at home.

Still alive she hasnt pooped at all only brown liquid runs down her and gets stuck on her she barely even drinks water and wont touch her food. If she is egg bound the egg probably broke causing the large belly

Attachments

• 20200816_065250.jpg
    20200816_065250.jpg
    363.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200816_065245.jpg
    20200816_065245.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20200816_065256.jpg
    20200816_065256.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 5
Any idea if i can get the egg out with going through her vent (if she is egg bound) and will it hurt her if she isnt egg bound?

I think its cocodios because they keep spilling their water and these worms that look like maggots hatch and they eat them i am no longer putting open bowls of water that spill easily x.x how do i treat this ?

Back
Top Bottom