Chicken can't walk

Gooselover567

Chirping
May 15, 2020
My chicken is very droopy and has a hard time walking and standing up. She's a blue ameraucana about 1 yr old. I gave her valbazen because we just wormed last week and thought maybe the worms were not gone. I also gave her a little vitamin b and dropper fed it to her with water. I had this exact same problem last year with another blue ameraucana and she ended up dying. Right now the sick ameraucana is just sitting beside a rock in the grass. She keeps closing her eyes. What's wrong with her and what should I do?

I'm sorry your hen is sick.
We have a few questions to narrow it down.
What do you feed her?
Is her crop full? Flat? Squishy?
What's her poops like?
Any sneezing or runny eyes/nose?
Is she fluffed up? Standing funny?

Thank you so much for responding! She is so sweet and I dont want to lose her. Her crop is flat, she hasn't eaten very much. She hasn't pooped either that ive seen but her butt does have a little poop in the fluff around it but I wiped it off. No sneezing or runny nose. She just stood up, she is kind of stooped over and her rump is puffed up. She tried to walk a little but she stumbled and fell down and is now sitting again. I thought about Mareks, but it has been about a year since the other hen like this died and none of the other chickens had were affected.

Also she can move her legs a bit but she has trouble doing so. I'm not sure when she laid an egg last. She was fine yesterday and today not. I don't think she has an egg in her.

Poop keeps building up on her butt and I am currently giving her a bath. The poop is kinda diarrhea consistency but not runny

I'm sorry to hear about your sweet sick hen also. I am no expert, but having a few mystery hen losses recently myself here are a few questions that were posed to me...
Have you checked for and/or treated your hens for external parasites like mites?

What does her poop look like? Orange? Foamy? Runny? Have you considered coccidia?

Back
Top Bottom