1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Chasing Sunday

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by americanchicks, Sep 30, 2012.

1. americanchicks

americanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    Auburn, wa
    I have had my flock going on 6 months now. I have 9 chickens all together. I have a couple questions to ask.

Question #1. I have 3 chicks that are about 4 months old now. They are always away from the others, but the older chickens do like to pick on them. They come together to roost at night but most of the day I have 2 flocks. Will they all eventually flock together?

# 2. How do i keep my FR chickens out of the neighbors yard? I have caught them over there twice within the past 2 weeks. Then all i did was call and they came running. Well they are over there right now (Our neighbor is not home) and I cant get them to come home. I have called, tried some treats, even brought their feeder over. I can get them all to come except Pebbles my BR and Spaz my EE and most skittish chicken. I'll have the others following me then Pebbles will call to them and they slowly go back to her. I always thought that it was the roosters (I have 2) they where following but maybe not. Any Ideas on how to keep the ckicies out of trouble? thanks for reading.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    You may always have a divided flock. Chicken flocks tend to subdivide after they reach a size when they are out and about. They younger "teenagers" are also just trying keep away from the oldsters.
    Fencing is the only sure way to keep them home.
    I have noted that my rooster often follows the lead of the hens when free ranging. Course my flock tends to scatter in three or four groups when free ranging and he goes from one group to another,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by