Chicken Chatter

Patinas

Songster
Mar 22, 2017
Washington
My head hen and I are buds as in, she follows me all over when I'm outside and wants to stay near me. I have always greeted her with a soft "cluck cluck cluck" verbalization. I've noticed for quite awhile that it's almost as if she is copying my greeting. She always does a repetitive soft "cluck cluck cluck" herself when she comes up to me and when she sits or stands near me. That's the only sound she makes when she's with me. She's actually not an overly chatty hen even with the flock.

So that got me to wondering if she really is mimicking my attempt at chicken chatter. Anyone else out there have a chicken that always uses the same vocals with you? Sometimes I change up the chatter with her to see if she will change hers but so far, we're stuck on "cluck cluck cluck".

I have also noticed that when I change up the vocals she very intently listens to me and tilts her head to make direct eye contact with me as if she's wondering why I'm making a new noise.

She's the only one of the hens that does the same vocals with me all the time. The others cluck at me and squawk at me and chatter away but not this one hen.

A few of my hens when nesting will communicate back when I say “Hey chcik chick”,and occasionally I have had hens do that cluck cluck when I’m randomly coming towards them or calling them.

Back
Top Bottom