Chicken checkup checklist

ChasingChooks

Songster
Jan 28, 2024
Howdy ya'll,

I've been wanting to do a chicken checkup and inspect the birds. Thought it would be a good idea to do every month or so. I do keep an eye on them, but I'm hoping to actually inspect my ladies.

I would like to put together a list for myself, (or to share with everyone) of things to look for on a hen. Example: check the feet for bumblefoot, check eyes for (what?), check for lice, etc.

Please share your tips! Thanks!

I check my chickens daily for wounds from other chickens pecking them(i dont have this anymore thankfully), lice, mites, bumblefoot, i make sure they are eating and drinking.
I havent had to deal with any of this yet.

My Buff Orpington hen also needs her nails trimmed. She hasnt been able to grind them down as its wet here. So ive been trimming her nails every few days.

Weighing birds is good to do if you have a suitable scale since sudden changes in weight can be a sign something's up. Of course, it requires that the birds are calm enough to hold still for a few seconds and not tapdance on the scale.

Keel - I feel around their keels to assess body condition.
Crop - I feel their crops to know if they are eating or not and see if anyone has a hard/impacted crop
Abdomen - I feel their abdomens for signs of ascites, peritonitis, egg binding.
Poop - I take note of any unusual poops (diarrhea, blood, etc.), especially under the roost where I can usually find the sick hen sitting above. I also check if anyone has a poopy bottom.
Bugs - I check for bird mites by running my hands and arms through their feathers to pick up the mites since they are easier to feel on your skin than see.

And how they are looking and acting in general. Anybody who seems off will get a more thorough exam. I might look for things like unusual comb color, discharge, bumblefoot, scaly leg mites, swelling, eye problems, breathing issues, etc.

And like @Happy hen lover I count them every day!

Oh, I should also mention that I usually do the regular checks in the dark with a headlamp when they are all on the roost. Makes it so much easier.

Oh, I should also mention that I usually do the regular checks in the dark with a headlamp when they are all on the roost. Makes it so much easier.
@NerdyChickenMama, If you don't already have a headlamp, get one with a red light option. The birds don't see the red light the same as we do, so to them it's still dark.

If I ever have to catch one of my older (and less handled and therefore less friendly) chickens, this is what I do. I take them off the roost at night with the red light. I talk to them softly so that they know it's me, but they don't try to fly away because they can't see well.

Back
Top Bottom