Chicken class

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by dixiejo, Jun 7, 2011.

1. dixiejo

dixiejo New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    I live in Waxhaw, NC, and the town has ordinances for raising backyard chickens. One of them is the requirement of a class on how to care for them. We are to take one, and then present a certificate of completion to the town when purchasing our yearly permit. Does anyone know of any classes like this in NC? I called our county's Dept. of Agriculture, but they have not gotten back to me with anything. The town has no other suggestions, and my search on the web has been fruitless. We are waiting on feedback from our HOA, and are hoping to get started soon. Thanks for any input~

2. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I would go to the NC thread in the "Where am I? Where are you? forum and ask in there.....surely someone would have an answer for you. [​IMG]

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Here in Phoenix, the Permaculture Guild teaches classes on caring for chickens. While I applaud the idea that owning an animal requires a minimal amount of information on their care, I wonder how well it would go over if people were required to take a class on how to care for their dog, cat, parakeet or goldfish?

4. Auburnchick

Auburnchick Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2011
    Alabama
    Maybe you could find an online course? Or maybe someone on this forum could teach you the basics and then give you a certificate to print? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by