Chicken comb is bleeding a bit. Got stuck in feeder.....help?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by framefunnyfarm, Aug 1, 2013.

1. framefunnyfarm

framefunnyfarm New Egg

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi
    I am brand new to chickens. We have 4 White Leghorns that are just over a year old. The lady that sold me the feeder said it was the best one I could have. It is aluminum with a bar over it that swivels. Supposedly it keeps the girls from walking thru the feed. Well they ate last night for the first time after we got them and it went fine. I fed them this morning and again, they were fine. Happy chickens!!! They laid 3 eggs by 10:30am. :) I left to run some errands, came back and one of the hens appears to have gotten her comb caught slightly in the bar covering the feeder, and SLIGHTLY tore it. I freaked out as there was blood everywhere. After further investigation, its just a slight tear in the comb, but man they shake their heads so much when they peck their food there are blood droplets are everywhere!!!!
    My sister has had chickens for a long time and says she thinks they will be ok. She said though that you all the best with chickens and I should come here and ask you.
    Could you give me some advice?
    Thanks SO much!!!!
    Amanda

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Yes, chickens get their combs torn up more often than you would think. It usually isn't that serious, but you should make sure that the other birds don't pick at the injured comb. If they do, and they could make her bleed to death. So just keep an eye on them, and everything should be fine. If you want, you can put some antibiotic ointment on the comb to help it heal, but most of the time, combs heal pretty quickly all on their own.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by