Chicken cone flopped and diarrhea

NelsonNelson

Hatching
Jun 20, 2022
I have a two-year-old chicken egg Lane. She does not look well we lost one chick in about a week ago had diarrhea initially and then found her dead. This one’s doing the exact same thing and I’m not sure what to do about it I’m putting vinegar in her water diatomaceous and mixed in with her food I’m giving her a little bit of amoxicillin 500 mg in her food. Any suggestions what this could be. She’s been losing weight I need help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    597.3 KB · Views: 20
Any other symptoms? What is their diet? Was there blood in the Diarrhea? Have you checked their crops? When did she last lay an egg?
Hi, no blood. stopped laying eggs. I gave her electrolytes and amoxicillin this morning. I don't like drugs for my chickens, but at this point I want to save her. Any suggestions please?

I found this, I hope it helps anyone else experiencing what I am.

What are signs of coccidiosis in chickens?

Outward signs of coccidiosis in chickens include droopiness and listlessness, loss of appetite, loss of yellow color in shanks, pale combs and wattles, ruffled, unthrifty feathers, huddling or acting chilled, blood or mucus in the feces, diarrhea, dehydration, and even death.

Can antibiotics cure coccidiosis?

The most common drug used to treat coccidiosis is a sulfa-class antibiotic, sulfadimethoxine. It is typically administered for 5-20 days.

Can a chicken recover from coccidiosis?

Follow treatment with a vitamin supplement (especially A and K) is recommended and chickens affected by coccidiosis can take a few weeks to fully recover from their infection. Survivors of one strain may become infected with a different strain and require further treatment.

Can turmeric cure coccidiosis?

With the property of anti-diarrhea and anti-inflammatory, turmeric is expected to be an alternative for the treatment and prevention of coccidiosis in particular and general gastrointestinal disease in chickens.

I have a two-year-old chicken egg Lane. She does not look well we lost one chick in about a week ago had diarrhea initially and then found her dead. This one’s doing the exact same thing and I’m not sure what to do about it I’m putting vinegar in her water diatomaceous and mixed in with her food I’m giving her a little bit of amoxicillin 500 mg in her food. Any suggestions what this could be. She’s been losing weight I need help

Hi, no blood. stopped laying eggs. I gave her electrolytes and amoxicillin this morning.

How long ago did she top laying eggs?

Photos of poop would be good.

A little Amoxicillin is how much? If you are going to give medication, then giving the correct dose so it's effective best. Amoxicillin dose for poultry is 57mg per pound of weight given orally twice a day for 10-14 days.

DE in the food is for? Are you thinking of this as a dewormer? If you want to deworm, then get a known and effective dewormer. Fenbendazole (Safeguard liquid Goat dewormer) dose for poultry is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Coccidiosis is a possibility as a secondary infection. Adult birds that have been living in the same environment are generally resistant to an outbreak, but if unwell, the protozoa could over grow. Treatment is with Corid (Amprolium). Dose for liquid Corid is 2tsp or powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water. Don't give any extra vitamins containing B1 (Thiamine) during the course of Corid treatment.

Check her over for lice/mites, if you see any, treat her with Permethrin.

Does she have any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent, between her legs?
Likely at 2 years of age, not laying eggs, lethargy and weight loss, she's suffering from a reproductive disorder. Cancer, EYP, Salpingitis, etc., can all be common in laying hens and are the cause of decline in most of them.

Do make sure her crop is emptying overnight. If it's not, then treat the symptoms. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Often when a hen is in a state of decline, the only thing you can do is treat symptoms, offer supportive care and see if they improve. Do keep in mind that some do "get better" or improve for a period of time only to decline yet again due to what ever is the root cause of the symptoms.
If you lose her, getting a necropsy or doing one yourself will give you the best answers as to what ails her.

Link reference(s) to the Info you found?
I found this, I hope it helps anyone else experiencing what I am.

What are signs of coccidiosis in chickens?

Outward signs of coccidiosis in chickens include droopiness and listlessness, loss of appetite, loss of yellow color in shanks, pale combs and wattles, ruffled, unthrifty feathers, huddling or acting chilled, blood or mucus in the feces, diarrhea, dehydration, and even death.

Can antibiotics cure coccidiosis?

The most common drug used to treat coccidiosis is a sulfa-class antibiotic, sulfadimethoxine. It is typically administered for 5-20 days.

Can a chicken recover from coccidiosis?

Follow treatment with a vitamin supplement (especially A and K) is recommended and chickens affected by coccidiosis can take a few weeks to fully recover from their infection. Survivors of one strain may become infected with a different strain and require further treatment.

Can turmeric cure coccidiosis?

With the property of anti-diarrhea and anti-inflammatory, turmeric is expected to be an alternative for the treatment and prevention of coccidiosis in particular and general gastrointestinal disease in chickens.

I agree with everything Wyorp Rock just said, just want to caution you (and future readers) that the description in the coccidiosis info you had applies to almost everything that a chicken exhibits when Ill. The description applies to SO many things you'll always be treating for that everytime they look a little off.

Re the coccidiosis: Were they vaccinated when you got them? Have they always lived in same place? Do they go outside often (have been doing so for a while). If the above questions are a yes, I would look elsewhere.

You might want to have a stool sample analysis since this is the second one.

Back
Top Bottom