Chicken coop #1. Two years in the making!

ccreindl

Hatching
Aug 16, 2015

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Wow! That is a gorgeous coop you have built. One thing I would suggest if you have any predators in your area is to cover than chicken wire with hardware cloth as there are just too many predators that can tear through chicken wire, or squeeze through the openings in the mesh. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html on predator proofing your chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thank you
1f60a.png
Still a work in progress. Never ending really! The coop itself is secure with hardware cloth, the run has the chicken wire and its slowly being replaced with the hardware cloth. We are in a suburban neighborhood on Long Island, so not too may predators. Haven't seen any raccoons or opossums in quite some time. The girls go in every night and the coop is locked up tight. But again, the more we read the more I find out about. The first few nights after reading and seeing photos from people whose coops were destroyed by predators, were sleepless ones for me. Must have gone out and checked on them every few hours! I'm learning so much from everyone on backyard chickens. Thanks for the informative link
263a.png

Thank you
1f60a.png
Still a work in progress. Never ending really! The coop itself is secure with hardware cloth, the run has the chicken wire and its slowly being replaced with the hardware cloth. We are in a suburban neighborhood on Long Island, so not too may predators. Haven't seen any raccoons or opossums in quite some time. The girls go in every night and the coop is locked up tight. But again, the more we read the more I find out about. The first few nights after reading and seeing photos from people whose coops were destroyed by predators, were sleepless ones for me. Must have gone out and checked on them every few hours! I'm learning so much from everyone on backyard chickens. Thanks for the informative link
263a.png

You're welcome. I'm glad to hear that your are replacing that chicken wire in the run with hardware cloth. It's more expensive than chicken wire, but it's cheaper than replacing your flock. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom