Chicken Coop 3rd Dimension :)

Ichthyguy

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Elburn Illinois
My existing coop is 5'x10'x8'

My roosting space is approximately 30 ln feet. Rule of thumb a chicken for every 1 ft or 30 Chickens

the coops square footage is 50. rule of thumb is 2-3 sq ft per chicken or 17-25 Chickens

The chicken run is 550 sq ft. Rule of thumb 1 chicken per 10 sq ft. or 55 chickens.

My chickens only spend the nights in the coop, the majority of their time in the run, and free-range 2-3 hours per day.

What is the max amount of standard chickens I should have?

Attachments

• 20200616_065612.jpg
    20200616_065612.jpg
    937.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 20200616_065623.jpg
    20200616_065623.jpg
    486.7 KB · Views: 56
the coops square footage is 50. rule of thumb is 2-3 sq ft per chicken or 17-25 Chickens
The chicken run is 550 sq ft. Rule of thumb 1 chicken per 10 sq ft. or 55 chickens
Rule of thumb around here is 4/10....which is considered a bare minimum in most cases.
No hard numbers fit all situations.

Can depend on your climate...and any predator and/or weather events that could necessitate keeping them confined.

One thing I see here is the roosts are very high and your coop is very narrow,
flying down from roosts could create injurious crashes.

Tall coops are great for ventilation up high.

Welcome to BYC! @Ichthyguy
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1592343289605.png

I would try to stay under the maximum amount. My coop is 10x10 and my run is 35x25 (not including the space under the coop). I have 7 16 week old chickens and just got 4 more babies yesterday so am now at 11. I think that will be the maximum I have. Giving your chickens some space is good for them. They squabble and like to have their space.

I live in northern Illinois. I currently have 24 chickens living in this coop for the last year and 1/2 ...I guess I should not add any more then :)

I do deep litter system in my coop that I believe helps cushion their descent from the perches.

Thank you for the responses. I just wanted to stress that the chickens only sleep in the coop. My run has a roof and I enclose the side with plastic in the cold months. The only time my birds are in the coop during the day is when they are laying eggs. I feel this may be a slightly different dynamic than most. Was hoping to get some outside the box thinking.

Attachments

• 20200617_191014.jpg
    20200617_191014.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 43
Thank you for the responses. I just wanted to stress that the chickens only sleep in the coop. My run has a roof and I enclose the side with plastic in the cold months. The only time my birds are in the coop during the day is when they are laying eggs. I feel this may be a slightly different dynamic than most. Was hoping to get some outside the box thinking.
I must have spoiled chickens. Only 7 roost right now because the other 4 are only 2 days old but I hear them screaming at eachother sometimes fighting over who wants to stand where. In a 10x10 coop. I always see people say they fight over 1 nesting box. Mine also fight over the far right corner of the roosting bar 😂

Back
Top Bottom