Chicken coop build advice for roof

woogiedaddy

Chirping
Jul 5, 2018
Roxboro NC
I am just about done building the coop. I have the roof is framed and I am going to be using corrugated steel roofing. Should I be using a drip edge all the way around before putting the roofing on? None of the youtube videos are using the wavy (cheaper) metal roofing, so it is hard to tell what they have done. I would like it to last. Any advice is welcome I will be posting a full post about it once it is done, but here is a picture
20190226_150104.jpg

Have to agree but use a spray on foam to deaden the noise trust me
on that one have two of them here
Is that for my benefit or the chicken's? (serious) I have gone back and forth about actually adding a plywood or other type of ceiling, but haven't seen many people in the south adding that. It doesn't get that cold for that long, so I would think that insulation is an overkill

Looks nice so far :thumbsup! My coop roof is made of the wavy plastic sheets that are the same size as the metal stuff, but lighter and cheaper than the metal stuff.
I looked at that, and they also had some clear. I thought that would be decent to use, but they only had a couple of the clear and then a couple white cloudy kind. None of them were in good shape at all, so I looked at the metal ones. All of the old tobacco barns and sheds near me are using it, so I figured it was worth a try.

The birds are coming the second week of May, so I didn't want to be patient. I want to get it built, so that if (when) the rain stops, we can paint it and get it all trimmed out

FWIW, my coop has a galvalume roof over joists and purlins. No insulation or sound deadening. My chickens haven't complained about noise when it rains. Sometimes I'll go down to my shed that has a galvalume roof just to listen to the rain. Quite soothing, but then again I grew up in a house with a tin roof.

FWIW, my coop has a galvalume roof over joists and purlins. No insulation or sound deadening. My chickens haven't complained about noise when it rains. Sometimes I'll go down to my shed that has a galvalume roof just to listen to the rain. Quite soothing, but then again I grew up in a house with a tin roof.
I imagine that if the chickens aren't complaining, that everything is fine. My neighbor's chickens complain about everything. You must have easy going chickens

Back
Top Bottom