Chicken Coop Construction Help!

ChickenMama1980

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2020
Illinois
Hello! I am working on the coop and run for our chickens. I am utilizing the portion of our garage that already has a wall on one side. I'm building a new partition with door/laying boxes. My question is, I have started to deconstruct these shelves (pictured below). I took all the plywood off, so I have 2x4 frames. I was planning on taking all but one of the frames out, but thought perhaps they would enjoy having a variety of perches in different heights. What do you think? My fear is they might hurt themselves on the ceiling, trying to perch on the top shelf... or on the way down from the top shelf (about 8 feet high). Maybe remove the top and leave the other 3?

Attachments

• 20200322_090552.jpg
    20200322_090552.jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200322_085204.jpg
    20200322_085204.jpg
    607.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20200322_085126.jpg
    20200322_085126.jpg
    531.4 KB · Views: 7
Looks like a great place to start! I agree and would remove the top shelf. I would also remove the 2nd highest shelf. In the space now opened up by removing those, put roost bars.

I would use the bottom shelf as the nest boxes.

Pretty quickly you can be ready!

That's a very cool building....too bad the soffits aren't open for ventilation.

I would put the nests on the bottom shelf.
Roost with poop board on second shelf,
and remove the top shelves.

What are the dimensions of the shelves(width and depth)?
How many birds will you have??

Here some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @ChickenMama1980
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1585407576548.png

That's a very cool building....too bad the soffits aren't open for ventilation.

I would put the nests on the bottom shelf.
Roost with poop board on second shelf,
and remove the top shelves.

What are the dimensions of the shelves(width and depth)?
How many birds will you have??

Here some tips on heights:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/coop-stack-up-how-high-stuff-works-well.73427/

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @ChickenMama1980
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2065250
Thanks so much for your feedback Aart! I read your very useful articles as well. I live in Illinois. We are starting with 8 pullets... a variety including Isa Browns, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorp, Starlight Egger and a Polish. There is a window in the coop which I want to replace to include both glass and mesh so that I can open it and allow for ventilation, but close it in the very cold winter months. There's also a door on the side of the garage in which I would like to put a screen door on and open to allow a nice cross breeze between window and screen door during the day in the Summer.

I am actually putting the nesting boxes on the partition I am building, next to the door. The plan is to have little doors on hinges to collect eggs right from the outside. I will definitely post photos as things progress over the next couple of weeks!

I will definitely remove the very top shelf. I was considering a poop board under the roosting bar, but afraid they might go underneath to lay, making my collecting more challenging. Perhaps if the board is high enough, this doesn't cause a problem.

Thanks so much for your feedback Aart! I read your very useful articles as well. I live in Illinois. We are starting with 8 pullets... a variety including Isa Browns, Rhode Island Reds, Black Australorp, Starlight Egger and a Polish. There is a window in the coop which I want to replace to include both glass and mesh so that I can open it and allow for ventilation, but close it in the very cold winter months. There's also a door on the side of the garage in which I would like to put a screen door on and open to allow a nice cross breeze between window and screen door during the day in the Summer.

I am actually putting the nesting boxes on the partition I am building, next to the door. The plan is to have little doors on hinges to collect eggs right from the outside. I will definitely post photos as things progress over the next couple of weeks!

I will definitely remove the very top shelf. I was considering a poop board under the roosting bar, but afraid they might go underneath to lay, making my collecting more challenging. Perhaps if the board is high enough, this doesn't cause a problem.

Oh, and the shelves/leftover brackets are approximately 5' wide by 2 1/2' deep.

Back
Top Bottom