Chicken Coop/Duck House design questions

Chrifister

Chirping
Apr 5, 2020
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for feedback on this design for a chicken coop/duck/goose house. Our current situation is:
  • We have 6 hens and 1 newly acquired rooster, all less than a year old.
  • They live in a 4' x 12' tractor I built with recycled wood with a 4' high raised coop on one end.
  • They go through grass much, much quicker than I expected! Tractor would have to be moved every 2 days. Will tear it to pieces.
  • We own 70+ acres of mostly wooded land with roughly 10 acres around the house cleared.
  • We let them free range before winter when we got home from work. Since we are now self isolating, and have a rooster, they are allowed to free range during the day. Predators aren't much of a concern here in the daytime.
  • An incubator is on its way because we would like 6 more hens. Hoping it arrives Friday with some other stuff.
  • We have 10 Khaki Campbells and 6 Pekin ducks as well as 2 mating pairs of Pilgrim geese coming early June.
So we need a coop/duck house! So many questions though. I've been reading quite a bit, (especially on here!) and watching a ton of YouTube videos on raising chickens, ducks, and geese. I've come up with a design and, pardon my MS Paint skills, have attached it to this post. The goal is to house everybody in the same building and share the same run. A little explanation of the design:
  • Coop will be built on posts approximately 2' off the ground. Under the coop will not be part of their run so I can access things under there without having to crawl through droppings.
  • Run will be as large as is both feasible and cost effective. It will have a roof......at some point......hopefully.
  • We need to reduce the chances of run in with Salmonella, so this means general upkeep needs to be somewhat safe. This is why there is a space at the entrance to the coop on the western side. Extra boots, clothing, and gloves would be here so no tracking droppings out of the coop. Storage is also available for food and other things. Also access to nesting boxes.
  • The coop is split down the center because we already have an established flock and I doubt everyone will just get along great. From reading this forum and others, it seems poultry are generally fine if raised together. So I'm hoping raising the ducks and geese together means they will happily live together.
  • Size of the coop is still up for debate and I am leaning towards 16' x 16'. We currently have 32 sqft of space in our existing double story coop, if you consider the roost a second floor. The 6 hens were fine all winter with many days where they didn't come out.
  • The water station is also an ongoing idea thingy. I'm thinking of digging a trench from the house to the coop, about 120 feet, and installing a water line below the frost line. I would then like to have the water station consist of a frost-proof spigot connected to said water line. It would make life so much easier, especially with ducks, if I had access to water right in the coop. I will run a hose to begin with.
  • The drainage area I'm thinking should be a hole in the floor covered in layers of hardware cloth with drainage channels/funnels underneath so we can dump old water down them and it will be funneled into the woods. Also means no watery mess from the ducks/geese water pool thingy (still have to find this...).
  • Cleaning doors on the sides should allow pushing old litter out into our wheelbarrow, or trailer, or whatever to take for composting. It sounds like using linoleum (or similar) covered plywood for the floor is a good idea.
  • Not shown is a human door to the run as well as possible other doors for them.
I know it's a long read and I apologize, just bear with me. Some questions:
  1. What overall size should I look at for the coop? Obviously smaller is better cost-wise. We are not keeping too many males, just for breeding purposes. So end numbers should be roughly 13 chickens on one side and 11 ducks with 4 geese on the other side.
  2. Is it advisable to keep only 1 male Khaki and only 1 male Pekin? If I lose one, I'm unable to breed. If I have more than one each, would they not harass the females too much?
  3. How big should the run be? I am looking at purchasing the 164' roll of electric poultry fencing with a solar energizer. I was thinking it may be feasible to attach that to one end of the run, thereby increasing the size when desired. I could move this fence around the coop on both sides so they always have fresh grass.
  4. Can they live in the run together but sleep separately? Do I need to put a separator in the run?
  5. What to do in the wintertime for temperature? I know ducks and geese are fine but I had a radiant heater in the coop for our hens and the temperature never dropped below freezing all winter. I wonder if I can get away with putting that radiant heater on the chicken side in the winter? It doesn't put off much heat though.
  6. Insulation? Seems this a contentious issue. I know to have lots of ventilation and it's not the cold, but it's the drafts that kill chickens. With the number of birds along with a radiant heater in this building, I'm thinking the ambient temperature should hopefully be above freezing. We'll do something if it's not. The sides of this building will be covered in a vapor barrier (tyvek?) and some kind of siding (haven't decided yet).
We have a local lumber center/hardware store not far from here that does deliveries so once I get a design down, I can order the lumber.

Thanks in advance guys.

Attachments

• CoopDesign.jpg
    CoopDesign.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 41

Back
Top Bottom