Chicken coop for 4 hens?

I have this area in The picture fenced off for my chickens. I was planning to just let them roam around that space during the day as they wish once they aren’t little anymore (those old Darden boxes will have grass and weeds in them by the way). While they’re little I was planning on letting them just use the run that came with the coop. I think they’ll mostly just sleep and lay eggs in the coop.
it can get pretty cold here in the winter though. It is super rare, like as in never happens, for it to get below zero, but it does get cold. I live in idaho if that helps. Will they need the coop to stay in when it gets cold or do they still enjoy going outside?
AS for the cold, just open the door anyways and if they choose to go out, let them, chickens are typically smart enough to choose to not go or go out. I know that sometimes chickens prefer the coop, just open the door and see what your chickens choose!

It's too small. Sorry.
There are some that would try to keep 4 LF birds in it. There will be issues. Lack of ventilation and space are the biggest issues. The ability to clean it and access chickens are a close second.
You need to have 3-4 sq ft of space per bird in the coop and at least an additional 12 sq ft per bird in the run.
What many people forget to consider in space and ventilation requirements is every weather and security condition the flock will experience. You need to be prepared for any of it.

My coop is only about 4 sq ft. They only sleep in there, and have the yard to roam during the day. I use the "run" for food and water. I currently have 2 LF in there; I would not put more than 3, and then only if they had a yard to range in. When my 2 new chicks arrive, I will be expanding the coop, as @3KillerBs has shown. The renovation does not look hard, as it uses the bones of the prefab.

A lot of people would use the corner of your wood perimeter fencing as two sides of a new poultry coop. Granted you'd still need to wind proof it, but it could help provide a structure if you were to return the tractor supply coop and start fresh. That would still require a lot less lumber than starting fresh, if you decided against gutting/redesigning the TSC coop. The remodel linked to, regarding the redesign, looked good though, and it'd give you enough coop space.

it can get pretty cold here in the winter though
That's when you'll run into trouble.
With a large and covered run it might be OK, but......
During those nasty blizzardy times, mine can spend days on end in the coop.
ChickenCabinFever is real, and it can be ugly.

But...Welcome to BYC! @LaMissa1
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1621688263139.png

Back
Top Bottom