Chicken Coop in violation.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by JohnsonHomested, Sep 19, 2012.

1. JohnsonHomested

JohnsonHomested Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    GAAAAAAAH! We just got a visit from a Code Compliance Officer. Apparently the chicken coop that I'm working on at my in laws' home (fewer code restrictions there) is not as code compliant as we thought. It's not an issue of the chickens but the structure being so near the fence (building on the setback?). I guess a neighbor complained after they found out it was for chickens. They didn't have a problem with it three months ago when they thought I was building a shed and a garden! Now after I've spent long hours and too much money Code Compliance says there is something wrong with it! I want to move way out in the country right about now and have nothing to do with anybody. Okay. I'm done venting.

2. JohnsonHomested

Jun 29, 2012
    [​IMG]
    This guy is ready to move into the new digs with all his ladies.

3. catsbully

catsbully Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2012
    neighbours.. are lovely aren't they? thankfully mine are the good ones who drop in to buy eggs from us! and have never mentioned anything about noise or smells! mind you the coop is well insulated (I can barely here the rooster in the morn) and I keep the poop to a minimum in the coop!

4. JohnsonHomested

Jun 29, 2012
    That's part of the frusteration. I've spent way too many hours on this thing to make it visually appealing for the neighbor's sake. I've spent a lot more extra work on the run construction to ensure it can be cleaned properly so smell will never be an issue. This is how all the hard work has paid off.

5. chicksbunsdog

chicksbunsdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2012
    Connecticut
    My Coop
    That's horrible! [​IMG] and the coop looks so lovely too [​IMG]
    I know it's large, but is there anyway to move it so it's in compliance?

6. 92Pony

92Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    South Carolina
    So how much too close to the fence/property line is it?

7. The Lazy L

The Lazy L Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    When you asked the governing authority what permits and/or restrictions were needed (prior to building) didn't they give you a list of requirements?

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Frustrating, i have no idea how this would even work but as 'The lazy L' said did they not give you specifics of what would be required for code? I'm in the country so we can have it all.. (well to a point my sanity has to be preserved lol)

9. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    How off are you? If you are close you may be able to apply for a variance. The problem is that the neighbor isn't on board. I suggest you work on educating the neighbor about the benefits of chickens, promise eggs, assure them that you will keep it clean, insulate to keep sound down etc. Are you absolutely set on having a rooster? That may be the problem. Diplomacy is your only hope.

10. JohnsonHomested

Jun 29, 2012
    I made the mistake of assuming the governing authority shouldn't/wouldn't worry about what we're building on our own property (or in-laws in this case). I thought, being a Police Officer myself, I could decipher the pertinent city ordinances on my own. Now, after reading the sections highlighted (which are hard to find) by the Code Compliance guy it looks like a permit is required at twice the normal cost (cause the building has already started) and either the roof has to be about a foot and a half lower (which would ruin the entire plan for a well ventilated coop) or it has to move about thirty feet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by