Chicken coop insulation questions

hayraddin

Hatching
Jun 14, 2023
Quebec, Laurentians
Hi,

I have a question about insulation. I currently have an structure built out of 2x4's for a chicken coop.

After some reading, I found out that Fiberglass batting is not a good idea for a coop due to humidity, it can be done but it has to be done with a vapor barrier on the inside wall and it could lead to sweating.

So I've decided to go with Rigid Foam Extruded insulation panels that I will cut to fit in the gaps between the exterior Plywood siding and an interior plywood panel , so there would be a gap of 3.5in (2x4's) between exterior and interior plywood that needs to be filled.

I'm planning on using caulking and expanding foam spray to make it air tight between pink and interior siding. Or would it be better to air tight it with the exterior siding?

I've done a rough sketch:

r/DIYHome - Chicken coop insulation questions
My questions would be:

A) Is it better to leave an air gap on the exterior or the interior side of the insulation? In the image you can see there is a 0.5in air gap between the exterior siding and the insulation panels.

B) Would it be better to have the air gap between both panels? So that the blue panel is touching the exterior siding, then spacer, and then the second insulation panel touching the inner siding?

C) Would it be better to have the air gap in the interior side? That is between the pink foam and the interior plywood panel?

Im located in Quebec, in a fairly humid area in the Laurentians, and the chicken coop interior will probably have also a lot of generated humidity I imagine.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I am also in Quebec, near Shawville.

Insulation is not required nor is artifical heat. Your focus should be to ensure adequate ventilation; generally 1 sq ft per chicken is recommended. Ventilation will get rid of humidity generated by your flock but your humidity level will be determined by whatever the humidity outside.

By creating closed spaces in your walls you are creating locations that mice and other pests will use to move in.

Good luck.

I will just add one comment from recent experience, make sure all insulation is well covered. Chickens are like puppies, they peck, and will seek stuff they find interesting.

If you're gonna go with insulation make sure it doesnt leech dust / toxins into the air or where they can peck at it. Insulation isnt necessary since youre going to need ventilation and if you have ventilation then it negates the point of an enclosed insulated coop.

I live in Michigan. The chickens pecked at some exposed styrofoam on my house.

I have never used insulation. And, keeping it air tight will mean the noxious gases from their manure and breathing cannot escape. Make sure you have enough ventilation and only keep birds that tolerate the cold well.

Hi,

I have a question about insulation. I currently have an structure built out of 2x4's for a chicken coop.

After some reading, I found out that Fiberglass batting is not a good idea for a coop due to humidity, it can be done but it has to be done with a vapor barrier on the inside wall and it could lead to sweating.

So I've decided to go with Rigid Foam Extruded insulation panels that I will cut to fit in the gaps between the exterior Plywood siding and an interior plywood panel , so there would be a gap of 3.5in (2x4's) between exterior and interior plywood that needs to be filled.

I'm planning on using caulking and expanding foam spray to make it air tight between pink and interior siding. Or would it be better to air tight it with the exterior siding?

I've done a rough sketch:

r/DIYHome - Chicken coop insulation questions
My questions would be:

A) Is it better to leave an air gap on the exterior or the interior side of the insulation? In the image you can see there is a 0.5in air gap between the exterior siding and the insulation panels.

B) Would it be better to have the air gap between both panels? So that the blue panel is touching the exterior siding, then spacer, and then the second insulation panel touching the inner siding?

C) Would it be better to have the air gap in the interior side? That is between the pink foam and the interior plywood panel?

Im located in Quebec, in a fairly humid area in the Laurentians, and the chicken coop interior will probably have also a lot of generated humidity I imagine.

Cheers!

Don't spent so much time, money and effort on insulation for winter.

Just check out this guys video. Shows all they need is...

• Dry
  • Ventilation
  • No drafts on them

Back
Top Bottom