chicken coop made against fence

my family said that we don't need more wood than the two wooden doors. I asked them why because two wooden doors wont be enough and they were like because our garden fence can be used as the back bit of the coop

if there's no wood, could I instead put mesh wire there so its still covered??

I would not attach the coop to the fence.
Yes, I think wire mesh (hardware cloth) for the back could work. It will keep chickens in and foxes out.

Whether the coop needs a solid back, or whether sitting next to the fence provides enough protection, will depend on your climate. Where in the world do you live? (What country, or what US state. We don't need your exact street address :) )

The fence will probably be good for keeping heavy wind out of that side of the coop.

Drafts might come through the cracks, but that can be good or bad depending on the weather (good in hot weather, bad in cold weather if they are blowing on the roost where the chickens sleep.)

Rain coming in between the coop and the fence might be a problem (if the chicken and the whole coop get wet), or it might be fine (if the chickens have plenty of dry space, and the rain just makes a little dampness at the back.)

This ^.
Even if it was my fence, I wouldn't want my coop attached to it. Fences are not cheap. Not sure how you would flash the transition from fence to roof of the coop to keep it waterproof without some sort of coating that wouldn't look good at all. I'd be worried about rot in that section of the fence. Also, if you were to remove the coop at a later date, that spot would weather much different from the rest of the fence, making it look odd.
OMG THATS A GOOD POINT 👍👍👍 thank you

Where in the world do you live? (What country, or what US state. We don't need your exact street address :) )
england
Drafts might come through the cracks, but that can be good or bad depending on the weather (good in hot weather, bad in cold weather if they are blowing on the roost where the chickens sleep.)

Rain coming in between the coop and the fence might be a problem (if the chicken and the whole coop get wet), or it might be fine (if the chickens have plenty of dry space, and the rain just makes a little dampness at the back.)
THANK YOU ITS LITERALLY RAINING IN JUNE AND SO COLD AS WELL

That's the dividing line between what you own and what your neighbor owns.

You really need to look into legal setbacks. Many places forbid building up to the property line.
x2. My zoning is pretty liberal with coop placement (you can have it in the front yard, or attached to your house, or close to a neighbor's) but it must be at least 10' back from property lines.

Back
Top Bottom