chicken coop problems

team guava pastry

Songster
10 Years
Feb 4, 2009
Miami, FL
I hope some one can give me some great advise. I built my girlfriend a chicken coop and so far its coming along pretty good. however, it's big and heavy.
I wanted it to last and it has to withstand hurricane winds I live in S. Florida.
It's heavy, did i mention that it's heavy, well I was wondering what type of roof should I attempt to put on it. The framing is done and I'm putting the footers in the ground tomorrow. I have to cement it in due to the weather.

So what exactly is the question? Is it that you need a hurricane-proof roof? Or that you're not sure how to move the coop? I gather that it is heavy......

Try a metal roof, is this what your asking, what does the weight have to do with anything, it sounds fine.

AL

Sorry it was late and I was little tired last night when i was posting.

my question is what type of roof
a flat roof
a pitch roof

I'm thinking something that hinges open so i can clean and let it air out

perhaps a slanted roof
and ideas would be helpful.....

Slanted (20 degrees or so) will help prevent water from running back under the roof and damaging structure and leaking inside. Make sure you have a ridge cap or such thing along the highest edge.

As far as what material... Any good quality roofing material should be fine if you attach it well i.e. asphault shingles have a different nailing pattern in high wind areas. Read the packaging.

Also, if you hinge the whole roof, make sure to add a good sturdy latch to prevent winds from lifting the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom