Chicken Coop Questions

Lauren Kim

Songster
Jun 7, 2017
Studying at the Library
My Coop
My Coop
I have a few questions below on Chicken Coops:

1. How often should I change the bedding?

2. What is the cheapest chicken coop model and brand?

3. How often should I let the chickens out?

4. Will chicks survive out in the open?

1.You will be able to see when it needs changing---poop build up---mostly the smell.
2. Pallet coops----pallets are usually free!!
3. If they have a decent size fenced in run/yard you do not have to let them out, but some allow them out for a while each day---thats your call.
4. No, if you have predators----not Long at all---gotta be watched over and protected.

Honestly, the answer to all your questions can be gotten by searching through these forums. The answer to many will be "it depends on your particular situation". Members have already spent hours writing well thought out posts and articles that cover all this stuff. It's best to research each of the topics for yourself and then come back and ask any questions you may have. Keeping any animal is a responsibility and, IMO, the first step is doing your homework yourself. No one can serve the answers to you on a platter.

It depends on your set up, your bedding, if you will be using poop boards under the roost boards and how much they are in the coop VS the run. It could be monthly, every 6 months. Hard to say.
You don't want the cheapest, you want a secure coop. You can re-purpose material and make your own very cheap, if you want to or can. Don't buy a prefab coop, they're the worst and won't hold up more that a couple years or so.
Daily in their secure run or free range depending on the predators in your area. This can include your own pets, along with wild animals.
They really need a secure coop to sleep in, for their protection. Can they survive in the open? During the day I would say, it's possible if you don't have any predators. I know people that leave theirs out all day but your taking a chance of something happening to them.

Back
Top Bottom