chicken coop & run

lruiz5936

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 23, 2012
Hey guys I need some advice. We are having to relocate and at our new location we have neighboors. We currently let our hens run lose but would like to add a chicken run at our new location to keep them away from the neighboors place. How large of a run would I need for about 25 hens? How tall should the fence be? We have two coops one 10x10 and an 8x8. Any other information would be helpfull, thank you.

The general rule I read:
If the chickens will be fully enclosed, they need 4 sq. ft. per bird. (100 feet.) That's total living space, not just run space.
If they just sleep in there, but roam around a bigger area during they day, they need 2 sq. ft. per bird. (50 feet.)
If it's not an enclosed run, you'll need a fence at least 6 feet tall. If you have flying breeds like German or Dutch breeds, maybe higher... or clip the wings.

One rule of thumb for a run is ten square feet per bird for regular sized chickens. Fence height of six feet works well for me. It seems to me that anything shorter would need to be covered to prevent the birds flying out, unless you clip the wings.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom