Chicken coop security

gachickenlady

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Hi! I’m new to chickens and just got my first four hens. This is the coop and run we got them. They seem to like it just fine. Do we need to secure where the frame meets the ground with a skirt of rocks or additional wood to keep out critters? We live in intown Atlanta and do not plan to free range them unless we’re home for now. And that’s only after they get settled in. I am mostly concerned with night activity. I don’t see raccoons or opossums or rats, but that doesn’t mean they’re not out there.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GU3448A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Personally I would secure the bottom with some hardware cloth. It wouldn't take much for a determined predator to dig into the run. I'm setting my coop on a base of cinder blocks and pavers, but also used a skirt of hardware cloth secured to the bottom. It runs around 12" around the outside of the coop.

Welcome to BYC!

Is there a secure latch on the nest box lid and any other 'door'.....
......hasp and loop you can put a padlock or caribineer thru?
Tho coons can potentially get a carabineer off too.

Do a search here on 'apron'...best method for anti-dig in protection.
Rocks and extra wood might help....but a mesh apron is way better.

Those coops can be fairly fragile, thin wood and not sure how well they attach the hardware cloth...
...coons are vicious, determined, and strong.

Thanks for the tips! The coop is fortunate pretty sturdy so that's good. I decided to run a row of castle stones all the way around the perimeter. They're super heavy and should keep out coons and opossums. It should also serve as a deterrent for anything small that may want to dig under.

I will consider hardware cloth on the apron should i run into problems. In my city neck of the woods, I think are biggest threats are Hawks and owls versus the land predators.

Oh I meant to ask, if you out hardware cloth on the bottom (floor) of the coop, would that not hurt the chickens feet when they scratch at the ground? Could they get caught on it?

HC on the ground of the run (the bottom part of coop/run) is not a good idea for just the reason you state.....
.......plus it can rust out with ground contact then it's even more of a danger to chicken feet.

The floor of the coop (the upper enclosed part of coop/run) it's ok, and can be advantageous in hot climates for added ventilation, but can be a real bear to clean.

Is this coop/run meant to be movable, I see handles on the coop end? But you state adding rocks so maybe not.
Aprons are really the way to go, doesn't need to be 1/2" HC, can use a 1x2 or even 2x4 welded wire. The heavier gauge wire holds up better over the long run.
It's hard to dig-proof a mobile coop/run, tho hinged aprons have been devised.

Hi GAchickenlady. I am in Atlanta too and am almost ready to get some chickens. Have you gotten your chickens yet? If so, where did you get them? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom