Chicken Coop to Green House

Here is what I had in mind that I just wasn't near my PC to draw out:

As that roof weight pushes down (A) some element of that is pushing horizontally (B) and some is pushing vertically (C). (be sure it's straight and level) There is very little to hold back those B forces - just the top of the roof support's ability to not bend. It just doesn't look like it was built to hold weight on top of it. It really needs those purple supports to hold weight.

I'm estimating the roof supports to be just under 7.5'. That's too tall for a cattle panel going length wise. If a panel goes from side to side over the top, you'd be looking at 5 panels. That's some weight just right there. If you cut them for each side, then you'll need something so support them from bending, too.

If you could find a way to hold those B forces, you could bend cattle panel over the top and it would withstand a good bit of weight. But, I'm not sure how to do that. The white lines are the possible ground anchors pulling from going outward? You could perhaps use some steel t-posts .... but I've always had the cattle panel pushing at the base of the post where it's far more secure. (Lots of torque at the top)

I'm no engineer ... so be really careful taking any of my advice. It's offered just as some things to think about. (My straw structure 30 years ago in school did win first prize!)

If you go for it, post pictures so we can see what you did.

View attachment 3157296
I had one of these collapse under 4 feet of snow and it just buckled and snapped. I had two more just like it and I supported those with iron pipe that I got from Home Depot and put it exactly where the purple is in this diagram, and they did not collapse. I had made it into a greenhouse with heavy duty tarps and it was perfect until I was due to put my supports in and a freak snow storm arrived overnight. It was ruined. The other two survived by having the supports and I had to take off the tarps because they increased the snow load. I didn't enjoy it as a greenhouse.

Back
Top Bottom