Chicken Coop Wishlist

ChxLadyCass

Songster
6 Years
Mar 2, 2017
La Junta, CO
Long story short, my family has received a small inheritance from an extended family member, and I want to use it on my chickens! Crazy, I know, but I am a Crazy Chicken Lady, after all!!

So what would be on your wishlist if you could go spend some extra dough on your birds?? (Preferably things that can run off solar or don't require electricity, because my husband is not a big fan of me pouring finances into the chickens 🤣 Hence, my want to use this gift on the chickens.)

I am adding a chicken coop (dog house and run turned chicken quarantine) and 8 hens to my flock of 15 this next week, and remodeling my entire run and existing coops this Spring!! So, a lot going on!

Here's what's on my list so far:
  • More chicken waterers
  • Fencing/Netting to keep the wild birds from devouring all our feed and prevent avian flu if need be
  • PVC pipe or other supplies to build feeders for less waste
  • Solar something that keeps waterers from freezing, if that exists. And solar powered mama heating pad, so I can start brooding chicks again!
Looking for items that save us time, money and keep the birdies happy!
Thank you for your input!!

I'd spring for running a water and electrical lines to my coop. I know you mentioned solar, but in the winter when you need the heat, do you get enough sun to power it? We sure don't, which is why I'd be so happy to put away the extension cords and have an outlet out there. I technically have water, but it's off our sprinkler line, so I only have water during the warmer months.

I tried the DIY PVC feeder and it was a total bust. Moisture would get in and feed would get moldy, but I couldn't see well enough into it to know it molded without taking the whole thing out/apart. A grandpa's feeder might be a better investment if you have a lot of waste and feed being stolen.

Oh and an autodoor if you don't already have one. I have an Omlet brand door and LOVE it. It's certainly not a must have, but I really like not having to go out at a certain time every day to do my checks on them and to close them up at night. I can do it on my schedule (like when the rain stops LOL).

So fun to plan out spring projects, especially when you have some extra room in the budget! :)

I'm also in Colorado...I have solar setup, but for the last 10 days I've had an extension cord powering my electric chicken heated waterer. There has not been enough sun to charge the battery that powers the inverter. Perhaps we need additional batteries for storage though.

I'd spring for running a water and electrical lines to my coop. I know you mentioned solar, but in the winter when you need the heat, do you get enough sun to power it? We sure don't, which is why I'd be so happy to put away the extension cords and have an outlet out there. I technically have water, but it's off our sprinkler line, so I only have water during the warmer months.

I tried the DIY PVC feeder and it was a total bust. Moisture would get in and feed would get moldy, but I couldn't see well enough into it to know it molded without taking the whole thing out/apart. A grandpa's feeder might be a better investment if you have a lot of waste and feed being stolen.

Oh and an autodoor if you don't already have one. I have an Omlet brand door and LOVE it. It's certainly not a must have, but I really like not having to go out at a certain time every day to do my checks on them and to close them up at night. I can do it on my schedule (like when the rain stops LOL).

So fun to plan out spring projects, especially when you have some extra room in the budget! :)
Ooh I will definitely look into a grandpa feeder! I prefer they scratch when they can, but right now we're definitely losing a ton to birds and mice! And I'd like a system I can leave an abundance of food in when we go out of town! Thank you for the suggestions!!

I'm also in Colorado...I have solar setup, but for the last 10 days I've had an extension cord powering my electric chicken heated waterer. There has not been enough sun to charge the battery that powers the inverter. Perhaps we need additional batteries for storage though.
Do you use full panels? We're actually investing in solar for our entire property, so I'm hoping I can convince hubby to let me run power to the chickens then!

I would recommend putting in an automatic waterer like a Richie Fount. The property has a two sided one for the horses. I set up one side with a ramp for the chickens. Wish I had one for the geese and chickens to share down in their pens. They are thermostatically controlled so they only draw power when the heater runs in the winter. One less thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom