1. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

After all this time (8 years of chicken owning to be exact), I'm finally getting a real chicken coop. In the past it's been big dog houses. I thought I would get everyone's opinions on it. It has a metal roof, nesting boxes, and places for them to roost on. It does need some cleaning on the inside (and maybe a little paint job).

We are picking it up Sunday. We are also getting some laying hens as part of the price. (Yippee!!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wren

wren Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    St Augustine, FL
    I like it! I would clean it out of course and disinfect it. It's gonna look great with new paint! I don't know how hot it gets where you are...but maybe it could use another set of windows for cross ventilation. Maybe add something to get rid of excess moisture in the winter. Also, it looks like there's two boards for each roost. If there was only one they would poop on it less. If you don't want them to roost above the nest boxes, you could block it off with a slanted board.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  3. The Red Rooster

That's what I thought too. I would like to make the roost narrower. Thank you for the suggestions! [​IMG]

~AnnElise

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I agree with exactly what Wren stated! That's an awesome find!! You'll have fun fixing it up to be your own (not as much fun cleaning it though! LOL) I'd make sure you really do clean it well as to not let any diseases in with your current flock. Also, be sure to quarantine the new birds at first to make sure they are healthy. Do you know the reason they are getting rid of them?

5. The Red Rooster

Thank you!

They really didn't want to get rid of them. We asked them if they could spare a few hens. We are looking for good egg layers.

I will defiantly quarantine the new chickens. I always separate newbies to be sure they aren't sick. [​IMG]

..and yes! I defiantly will have fun cleaning it out! [​IMG]

~AnnElise

6. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

You might also want to raise the roosts, especially the one on the right. If you close of the space above the nest boxes, they'll more than likely sleep IN the boxes rather than the lower roosts.

7. The Red Rooster

KDK1,

I had thought of that. The roost on the right may be too low. I'll see if they like to roost on it or not.

~AnnElise

8. The Red Rooster

We also built a nice run. It turns out that the coop fits the run perfectly!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. OreoPlymothRock

OreoPlymothRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2012
    Florida
    Looks Nice!!![​IMG]

10. Silkie Ball

Silkie Ball New Egg

Apr 11, 2012
    nice coop, i making one right now too , could u send me some demensions