Chicken cough or wheeze?

Puffed up cheeks means something is very very needed. Likely it's bacterial with the symptoms you're describing. I would go ahead and treat.

Particularly because of the turkeys' involvement.

-----------
Tylan50's 1 ml has 50 mg with a dosage of 35mg per 1 kg caged bird weight, according to the Merck veterinary manual.

1kg=2 lbs so 35 mg = 2 lbs bird dosage;

There are 50mg per 1ml (1 cc) of Tylan50. And 50 mg is 143% of 35mg, so 1 ml treats a 2.86 pound bird. 1/2 cc treats a 1.43 pound bird. etc.

So basically, 1 cc per every 3 pounds of the bird's weight according to Merck if you're using the Tylan50 (this dosage doesn't apply to Tylan100, etc).

Hearsay dosage is 1/2cc per adult bird. I prefer to follow Merck and not risk antibiotic resistance.

Three days of IM (in the muscle, breast muscle) shots. No less, no more.

IM shots are given in the breast muscle. Draw the injection up and cap it. Find a spot on the bird's breast. Clean it with a bit of alcohol on a paper towel or tissue. Push the syringe into the breast muscle, but not terribly deep. PULL the syringe plunger and check the syringe - if you don't see blood, you may then push the plunger to give the shot. If you do see blood, change locations of the shot. You must never give this injection into a blood supply.

Syringes used: 3 cc syringes with 25 gauge needle (20 is fine, too) at approximately 1" long.
==========
TREATING RESPIRATORY ILLNESSES IN POULTRY by Nathalie Ross

When treating a respiratory illness in my chickens, no matter what the cause (fungal, environmental, bacteria, viral) I like to attack the problem from multiple angles at once: Medicinal, nutritional, environmental, and through supportive products.

Medicinal: This should be handled on an individual basis for each situation. The one bit of advice I would give is that if you DO treat for bacterial illness with antibiotics, be sure to use the correct antibiotic, the strongest you can get for that problem, for the full dosage and full duration. Never let them "sip", give for a short period, or give partial dosages. And leave Baytril as a last resort.

NUTRITIONAL/VITAMINS:
To help tackle a respiratory illness, I keep in mind that the body needs fuel to do its job. Not only is the bird still having to nourish itself to survive, but there's the extra stress of providing materials to fight the intruder - the pathogen causing the illness. There are certain nutrients that boost the immune system and increase healing for respiratory illnesses and I like to take full advantage of them. Anything that I can do to boost the chicken's immune system, I will do.

Vitamin A (and its precursor beta-carotene) is one of the weapons in my arsenal against respiratory illness. Vitamin A is a most important vitamin for ocular, mucus membrane, and respiratory health. It is so important to the chicken that a lack of sufficient vitamin A in the diet can actually CAUSE respiratory illness. So it's one of the first nutrients I make sure to supplement to an ill bird.

If the bird doesn't have caseous nodules (yellow-whitish pimples) in the inside of its eyelids, mouth, throat, etc, you can simply treat with a more broad spectrum oil type vitamin liquid. Because vitamin A is an oil vitamin, I feel that using oil or liquid/oil sources is more effective than dried sources. So I prefer a vitamin like PolyViSol baby vitamins (Enfamil brand) used in the individual bird's beak daily. Don't buy the iron-fortified, but the non-iron-fortified. You can find it in the vitamin section of many stores, including Walmart. For a chick, it's 1 drop in the beak for 7 days and then taper off. For a young or medium bird, 2 drops. For a larger bird, 3 drops.

If I'm treating a flock, I prefer to use fortified wheat germ oil, or cod liver oil, in a quickly eaten damp mash that I prepare for the birds daily. For the cod liver oil, depending on which kind you use you can use a very small amount in some crumbles that you will put on top of their feed or use it in a quickly eaten damp mash. For wheat germ oil, I mix a capful into a cup of feed and stir well. I think stir this into a half gallon of feed and give that three times a week on top of their other feed.

This takes care of A vitamins quite nicely.

The benefit of the polyvisol is that it also contains other vitamins helpful to the bird.

NUTRITIONAL/PROBIOTICS:

In all cases of illness or stress, I provide probiotics to my birds but particularly for respiratory illnesses. Probiotics are non-medicinal sources of living bacteria used to replenish the beneficial bacteria present in the avian digestive system. Good bacteria live in and 'colonize' the digestive tract, helping the bird to digest their foods, and additionally competing with bad bacteria/fungi for the digestive tract. Having a strong supply of beneficial bacteria not only keeps a flock more thrifty and vigorous, but will increase their resistance to digestive disease.

If you're not using a medicine whose active ingredients end in -cycline or -mycin (read the label), then you can use plain unflavored yogurt. Most yogurts in the US contain a source of living bacteria, Lactobacilli. (Make sure and read the label for "contains live cultures".) Lactobacillus acidophilus will colonize the gut of the chicken. Use 1 teaspoon per 6 chicks to 1 tablespoon per large adult fowl as a guiding dosage. It doesn't have to be exact, but you don't want to give something as great as a cup to birds. Although birds are normally less able to digest as many milk products as humans and mammals, yogurt contains less lactose and so is less upsetting to their system within reasonable use. The live bacteria as well as its D vitamin fortification and protein make it an inexpensive and worthy probiotic.

If you ARE using a -mycin of -cycline drug, then substitute with acidophilis capsules/tablets (the contents thereof), or with a prepared live probiotic for livestock such as Probios brand dispersible powder. The powders are often easier to sneak into treats to give to birds.

No probiotics should be given in the water, despite labeling. They're best given in a small amount of quickly eaten damp feed. Yogurt can be mixed with water, and then that mixture mixed with a few crumbled pellets of the bird's normal diet and that fed first thing in the morning. removing the feed 20 minutes before giving the healthful damp mash ensures that they're more interested in it. You can also hide other healthful ingredients in the same mash.

The reason this is so important for respiratory birds, even if not medicated, is that the ocular and nasal sinuses drain into the digestive tract through the opening in the roof of the bird's beak. The drainage can upset the bacterial flora of the gut and cause it to be reduced which leaves the bird more vulnerable to diarrhea and digestive secondary illnesses like yeast/fungus, and pathogenic bacteria.

NUTRITION/PROTEIN:
As ill birds are often reluctant to eat, sometimes I like to use boiled/mashed eggs as part of a daily damp mash to tempt them to at least eat the nutritional supplements I'm trying to give them daily. The extra protein helps birds who are healing to have a little more fuel.

SUPPORTIVE PRODUCTS/VETRX:
VetRx is an herbal based oil that is non-medicinal but very helpful to birds being treated for respiratory illness. The purpose of VetRx is to facilitate air flow through the sinuses of the bird, reduce mucus, and possibly reduce inflammation. If VetRx for poultry cannot be found, any other of the "species" of vetrx (rabbit, cagedbird, etc) can be used the same. If that cannot be found, Marshal Pet Peter Rabbit Rx is the same and can be found at many big-chain pet stores.

VetRx is best used to swab the upper respiratory area. Mix a few drops of very hot water and a few drops of VetRx in a cup. Stir well to cool the water while emulsifying the oil into the water. Use q-tips to apply to the bird: a new q-tip end for each individual spot, an absolutely new q-tip per each bird. The q-tip can be quite damp for all applications. Swab the nostrils (nares) well, press a q-tip into the cleft opening in the roof of the beak of the bird. Pressing gently there can sometimes cause the VetRx to bubble into the eye, which is acceptable. It's not necessary but a benefit. Use either some very dilute VetRx one drop in each eye or (my preference) simply swab near each tear duct. The box recommends using in the water so that when the birds drink, they treat their own beaks as the oil floats on top. This is an option; I rarely follow it as sometimes I use the water to give other things. You can, however, use it wherever the bird wipes their eyes on their feathers, or where they lay their head when they sleep.

A bird that can't breathe will not eat; A bird that will not eat will not heal. Bacteria generally hate oxygen, so we want air flowing all through the sinuses.

SUPPORTIVE PRODUCTS/OACV: If you're not medicating in the water, and if your birds have a lot of mucus in their throats (gurgling, coughing, etc) the you can use organic apple cider vinegar in their water during illness to help reduce mucus and help support digestive health. The dosage is always 1 teaspoon of OACV to one gallon of water. The reason for using the organic is that it's unfiltered and still contains some of the prebiotics and lactobacilli that will act in concert with your yogurt to promote digestive tract health. The pH of this solution will also correct the pH of the digestive tract (which, remember, is being bombarded by nasal secretions) so that it's more friendly for good bacteria, and UNfriendly for opportunistic fungus and bacteria. A correct pH facilitates good nutrient absorbtion and we do want our ill birds to get everything they can from their food. The reason for using organic is not philosophical, but because of its mode of manufacture; there's still some good left in it.

ENVIRONMENTAL/AIR FLOW:
All birds, because of their specialized respiratory system, are highly dependent on superior air quality and ventilation. Birds who have reduced breathing ability in respiratory illness are particularly dependent on good air. They should be kept as all birds are: in well ventilated but not drafty conditions with few fumes or odors in the air, in a non-dusty bedding. This is particularly true if you cannot rule out an environmental cause for illness (ammonia, mildew spores in the air, etc).

ENVIRONMENTAL/BIOSECURITY;
When you have multiple birds, the sick bird/flock should always be cared for after all the other chores are done. You want to reduce all changes of infecting other birds, or even challenging possibly exposed birds who aren't showing symptoms (yet). Isolate sick birds unless you intend to treat the flock. Then it really does help to isolate the sick birds so that they don't have to compete for feed. Keep something like overalls or a big man's shirt in the 'sick area' and put it on before handling the birds, taking it off before leaving the coop. Keep anti-bacterial gel in that area to wipe your hands as you leave so that you don't contaminate the doorknobs of your house. Of course, wash thoroughly when all chores are done. Be sure to disinfect all the feeders and waterers more often as the droplets of their respiratory exudates will be on feeders and waterers. If you have family or friends over, try to keep only one person handlng the sick flock and ask everyone never to go from the sick flock to the well.

I hope that these suggestions will help you when it comes time to treat your flock for respiratory illness. All suggestions have been used by me personally on everything from slight cases to extreme cases. They work well for me, and I hope that they will help you to bring your flock back to full health.

Thank you for taking the time to read my article and consider my suggestions.

Nathalie Ross
(Please do not reproduce without permission of the author. The author is not a veterinarian and always recommends a good qualified avian vet attend your ill birds first. No information is intended to supercede that of a qualified veterinarian.)
August 1, 2009

What's with all of these chickens sneezing and coughing and rattling. My whole 22 chicken flock are in the same shape for 2+ weeks now and antibiotics for 2 weeks doesn't help. My chickens are at 22 weeks now and ready to lay and they are all sick, and it's my first flock!!!

I am trying Oxine next week, and if it doesn't work, I am gonna let the hawks and racoons eat them.

Well I'm sorry, but if you've been using the same antibiotic for over four days without any signs of change, you've been treating the respiratory illness wrong.

Antibiotics should make SOME change within 4-5 days or you're using the wrong one. Unfortunately once you start one, you must use it for at least 7 day (unless it's otherwise noted for a short term like 3 day) you must finish it or risk creating super bugs and risk never using that antibiotic again.

Oxine has a very limited bacterial spectrum and I doubt it will work without a systemic antibacterial or environmental changes (in case of possible fungal issues) - in fact I can guarantee it won't.

And as for letting the raccoons and hawks eat them, that's rather trollish.

You may possibly not even be using the right dosage of antibiotic, it may be a fungal disease, or viral.

What bedding are you using? Are these all from one flock - never new birds introduced? What dosage exactly of what exact medicine (brand name and label strength please) did you use so that we can rule out either a) mis use of antibiotic, or b) the bacteria that are most often resistant to that bacteria if it was used correctly.

And if you were using terramycin or Duramycin, those antibiotics (even though feed store people will mindlessly recommend them for anything) are weak and not commonly effective unless used in a very specific way. If you were using any milk products, then it will also render any 'mycin or 'cycline drug inactive.

Let's see if we can get your birds on a better track, unless you're here just to taunt us with threats of letting your birds die a horrible terrifying death to predators.,

I have one pullet that is sneezing/coughing and I appreciate all the information that is shared here. I have now given her yogurt mixed into her mash and bought the baby vitamins. Who would have thought baby vitamins for a chicken.
hu.gif

Quote:
You know, the baby vitamins are a funny thing. I admit I heard of them here. (I had used other oil-based vitamins). But the great thing about them are these things:

a) They're relatively inexpensive, no shipping required, and you can find them at Walmart and other readily available shops (sometimes even 24 hour shops).

b) unlike using capsules (which are necessary for strong spot treatment), the baby vitamins have a nice sort of spectrum of the main oil-based vitamins with a little B for appetite, etc. They're handy to use, don't taste half bad, are easier than slitting capsules.

c) Unlike water based vitamins, the oil vitamins (some of the most necessary vitamins for avian health) come with their own oil/fat (necessary for oil-vitamin absorbtion), and don't degrade from sitting in the light and water all day. Oil vitamins are quite sensitive to light so polyvisol allows you to give them quickly, *know* what you're giving and that they're getting absorbed, and not have them just waste in the light.

d) the amounts in polyvisol when u sed a few drops allow you to get a good range without the fear of overdosing. It's really easy to mix into a tasty carrier. Some of my birds will drink the second drop readily - which always amazes me.

They're just handy as heck and, for all the uses you get from one bottle, economical. I love to recommend them, as I know that I could probably find the ultimate vitamin supplement out there - but who can afford it? And who can get it within 24 hours when a bird is sick? I'd rather recommend something I know people can get and use than something that might be slightly better that they'll never in a million years get.
wink.png

The same with yogurt. There are much better probiotics out there. But they're pricey. Or you have to order them. Or you don't know they've been kept cool. Yogurt, you can get a cup for 50 cents at a 24 hours store. In the case of just boosting new laying hens, you get the benefit of some calcium and D vitamins. And it tastes good! It's not the ultimate premium avian probiotic, but it's also about 20 dollar less expensive and again - people can budget it and thus they'll use it.

Heck, I use them - my birds love them. You can be savvy and buy different yogurts now for different targets - like vanilla Activa (or activia knock-offs) for the bifidobacteria in it to treat against yeast/fungus for example. I don't usually like flavors for birds (because of extra sugars or artificial flavors) but it's better than a disease.
smile.png

Just remember.... if you're treating with a 'cycline or 'mycin antibiotic, do NOT use milk, buttermilk, or yogurt. You'll then have to go with an acidophilis capsule probiotic, Probios livestock probiotic, etc.
smile.png

OK cleaned the coops again today and ordered the tylan also disinfected everything. Also ordered some vitamin suplements with probiotics in them already. Gonna add more ventillation to the main coop and pick up the vetrx and yogurt tomorrow.. Wish I didn't have so much invested in the flock or it wouldn't be so hard to just cull out the bad ones. I'm gonna band the sick ones to keep track of them for later knowledge also.

Quote:
Oh that vitamin sounds nice - which one is it? If you use it and like it, will you please let me know? That VetRx I've really found makes them more comfortable, better breathing, and thus better healing. Sometimes if I'm questioning a bird and not to the point where I'm going to medicate yet, I'll just do VetRx, vitamins, probiotics and often enough the symptoms go away. It's really handy.

I admire people who are able to just simply cull sick ones, if they know for sure it's an illness (not nutrition or environment). That's a great idea on the banding.

Alright I have 11 birds and only one of them has had any signs of a "cold" but I wanna treat all of them. So I was thinking of adding some vitamins to a mash like I read on this thread. But I'm not sure what mash is exactly. And should I use baby vitamins or cod liver oil?? Or something else? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom