Chicken coughing or sneezing?

kcal

Chirping
Apr 6, 2021
NW Illinois
One of my brahmas has started this strange cough or sneeze sound. It’s hard to describe - it sounds more like a high pitched squeak, and she does it primarily when she eats or drinks. The first time I noticed it, I was filling the metal can I keep in the coop with feed, so I thought maybe it was just the dust from that. However, she looked…off. Maybe just thrown off from sneezing, I’m not sure, but I picked her up and held her on my lap for a few minutes and she had her beak partially open at first, but her overall breathing looked and sounded normal. Then that stopped and she just sat with me for awhile and I fed her some feed from my hand. She perked up, hopped down, and went about her normal business. She has done this twice since then while drinking water, but I haven’t seen her have her beak again since that first time. I did also put down from fresh pine shavings a couple days ago to freshen things up a bit since it’s freezing cold and snowy, so the girls aren’t wanting to leave the coop much right now.

I have tried to get a video but it seems like she stops when I pull my phone out. We have 16 chickens and she is the only one that I have seen do this. Could she be sick? Or just irritated airways from the dust? She acts normal otherwise so I’m really hoping she’s not sick. Is there anything I should do?

Sounds like a normal sneeze to me and nothing to worry about unless your Brahma is experiencing other symptoms such as coughing, nasal discharge, etc.

Hey how is your chicken now ??
My baby is sneezing like same ..
Please help
I never found out what was causing it for sure. She still does it every once in a great while, but it’s MUCH less frequent and she acts completely normal. She hasn’t had the issue I described where she was breathing with her beak open again. I did buy some Vet Rx when I went in town to get food the other day, so I am going to see if that stops it completely. I can let you know if it helps. None of my other chickens have had it happen that I have seen, so I don’t think she is sick with anything contagious.

I never found out what was causing it for sure. She still does it every once in a great while, but it’s MUCH less frequent and she acts completely normal. She hasn’t had the issue I described where she was breathing with her beak open again. I did buy some Vet Rx when I went in town to get food the other day, so I am going to see if that stops it completely. I can let you know if it helps. None of my other chickens have had it happen that I have seen, so I don’t think she is sick with anything contagious.
Thanks for replying 🙂
Mine is also good .. I think she has some wood allergy bcuz there's some wood working here and she's been sneezing since then maybe.. yours also have some kinda of allergy

Back
Top Bottom