Chicken Crater

Baymule

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 1, 2010
Northeast Texas
I had to call my DH out to the coop today. Stella and Lola had dug a hole any big dog would have been proud of. There was dirt kicked out of the coop, (it has hardware cloth 12" all around the bottom because of our ferocious heat in summer). That hole was about a foot and a half deep. Silly girls. I told my DH that we need to fence in a big garden spot complete with flight netting to protect against hawks and get 50 chickens to till it up for us before we plant.
lau.gif

I would say I am surprised but I'm not.
I swear we rake the run every evening after they are sent to bed.
They are digging hug holes all over the place.
My personal thoughts are they have chicken friends in china and are planning a visit...LOL

Are you sure they aren't looking for good dry dirt to bathe in? Mine have recently dug a trench 3-4" deep and 12 feet long along the edge of the fence... all looking for that prime dirt to bathe in!! Its not wide enough to try to get under the fence or anything. In my case, I've watched them do it. Then they curl up and engage in the most hilarious of chicken behavior: chicken orgies!!! You all know what I mean!! LOL:lol:

My front yard - not visible to the world, thank goodness, as I live in the "back" house on the property - is pitted with chicken-excavated fox-holes. Some are deep enough for the happy hen to lay in and just have her head visible if she pops it up to look around.

Like Whack-A-Mole. Only with chickens, and no whacking.

Quote:
You sure they aren't just trying to find the dog house to tunnel up under like in Hogan's Heros?
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom