Chicken Crazy Lady

Hello, Tanya, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Is your coop and run predator proof now?
Tonya
Hello, and welcome! Glad that you joined! Make your next coop and run stronger than what you think that you will need. Good luck with your new chick's that you plan on getting!

Thanks for the welcome!
I currently do not have a coop but I'm planning on eather turning a shed into one or building one

(Sorry if this is a little rough, I'm not the best when it comes to introductions)

Hello Everyone,
I'm so eggcited (see what I did there?:p) to be here! After scanning through this amazing site for a couple of days I finally decided to join. My history with chickens isn't the greatest. I acquired my first ones from a little local feed store. I was delighted with them and couldn't get over the wonder of their lizard (or dragon) like legs (Isn't God creative?). Unfortunately, at that time I was not cut out for chicken keeping. I had done plenty of research but not on one of the most important things "What Animals Can Kill Chickens And How Do I Stop Them?" So within a few weeks I had lost nearly everyone. I have no one to blame but myself. My remaining two lived for a year and a half before they were taken by a canine predator. It came totally unexpected since I thought the coop was prepared for any attack. That time was difficult but God helped me through it. In the years that followed I was afraid to get more chickens so I hung out with my friend's flock instead and learned all I could. I believe I am now at least barley worthy to keep more of these beautiful animals. This spring I'm planning on getting 7 - 9 chicks and I would LOVE any breed suggestions. Something perhaps exotic but useful?
- Tanya
(Not my real name but I like it so I'm gonna use it:p, I'm not entirely comfortable with sharing my real one)
Hi, chick! ( see what *I* did there? This group is totally what it's cracked up to be (ahem). We are about to jump in after wanting chickens for over 2 years...now we're moved and have more space...and we can have 8 chickens in our town. Our list is:

2 speckled sussex, 1 amberlink, 1 americana, 1 prairie bluebell egger, 1 sapphire olive egger, 1 buff orpington, 1 silver-laced wyandotte

This is after tons of reading on this list and others, and much MUCH deliberation. As for your next coop, well, we are going to have ours built, and I'm calling it the "Chick Mahal" because it's going to cost a LOT. But we are going 100% hardware cloth, including buried skirts, and so on...lots of precautions. We'll see how we do!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

Hi! Welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined!

You're not alone. I thought my chickens were safe because there is so much forest life here. Why would a critter climb the fence to get chicken, when they can just grab a rabbit, squirrel, or the other assorted birds on this property? And for three years, I was sure I was right. We think our chickens are safe until they are not. My predator was an eagle, so now we have bird netting over the run, and we put hot wire around it, and 1/4" hardware cloth, because now I don't trust the forest critters either. Still I am stressed every night worrying about them. I've been waiting for DH to retire so we can build Fort Knox for the chickens. That will be next month! Yay! Hopefully your coop and run are that strong before you get your chicks. A shed conversion is a great way to go, just make sure the run is secure too.

Here's hoping this next experience is way better for you!!! :fl

Hi, chick! ( see what *I* did there? This group is totally what it's cracked up to be (ahem). We are about to jump in after wanting chickens for over 2 years...now we're moved and have more space...and we can have 8 chickens in our town. Our list is:

2 speckled sussex, 1 amberlink, 1 americana, 1 prairie bluebell egger, 1 sapphire olive egger, 1 buff orpington, 1 silver-laced wyandotte

This is after tons of reading on this list and others, and much MUCH deliberation. As for your next coop, well, we are going to have ours built, and I'm calling it the "Chick Mahal" because it's going to cost a LOT. But we are going 100% hardware cloth, including buried skirts, and so on...lots of precautions. We'll see how we do!

Welcome to BackYardChickens! So glad to have you here in our wonderful community of friendly, helpful, knowledgeable people!

:yuckyuck:goodpost: Good luck with your first flock!

Hi! Welcome to BYC! We're glad you joined!

You're not alone. I thought my chickens were safe because there is so much forest life here. Why would a critter climb the fence to get chicken, when they can just grab a rabbit, squirrel, or the other assorted birds on this property? And for three years, I was sure I was right. We think our chickens are safe until they are not. My predator was an eagle, so now we have bird netting over the run, and we put hot wire around it, and 1/4" hardware cloth, because now I don't trust the forest critters either. Still I am stressed every night worrying about them. I've been waiting for DH to retire so we can build Fort Knox for the chickens. That will be next month! Yay! Hopefully your coop and run are that strong before you get your chicks. A shed conversion is a great way to go, just make sure the run is secure too.

Here's hoping this next experience is way better for you!!! :fl

Thank you!:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom