Chicken Curious

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Beezer, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Beezer

Beezer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2016
    Conway, AR
    My Coop
    Hello All,

Don't have any chickens yet but am looking into starting a very small flock (3-4) next spring. In the mean time trying to do some research on whether this is actually a good idea for me, where to get chickens, and what kind to get, and of course, converting an old workshop on my property into a luxurious chicken house. Doing a lot of lurking and learning. Coincidentally, like the previous poster, I am also in Conway, AR. Hoping this will be a great source for chicken research.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    If your looking fir a small flock for fresh eggs then yea.Do you the money or time?

Some chickens to start off with are Red sex links.Make great egg layers and pets.Some people call them gold sexlinks golden comets cinnamon queens red stars.Just keep in mind their all just red sexlinks.Black sexlinks or some call black stars also make great backyard chickens.Barred rocks too.

3. Beezer

Apr 28, 2016
    Conway, AR
    My Coop
    Thanks!:)

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, I think the Learning Center will give you a good foundation on which to build, if you decide to go ahead and get chickens.

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. Beezer

Apr 28, 2016
    Conway, AR
    My Coop
    Thanks. I guess figuring out how to get the coop fixed up will be the first project. Anyone else raising chickens on a small urban/suburban plot of land?

7. Beezer

Apr 28, 2016
    Conway, AR
    My Coop

Looking for a combo of egg production and friendly/pretty pet chickens. Nothing super fancy though. :D

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by