CHICKEN DANCE?? What is this?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birddog, Mar 12, 2009.

1. birddog

birddog Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2009
    Sonoma County
    all of my hens do a foot stomp and partial wing spread when i go to pet them? what does this mean? it is very weird they all do it. maybe it is the i'm gonna start laying eggs soon dance? ha ha,[​IMG]

thanks

2. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    They are hormonal and thinking you are a roo. Scratch thier lower back, they will love it!
    Should start laying soon.[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    They're submitting to you, if you were a roo, they'd let you breed. All my hens do that to me... but never to a roo. [​IMG] It's sort of a trust thing too, they'll only do it if they trust you.

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Do a BYC search on the words "the squat" and you will see that this is something that stuns every new chicken owner. I sure was surprised myself when one of my girls suddenly started doing it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  5. silverwing0904

silverwing0904 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2008
    After they start doing the squat thing it normally does mean that they will start laying soon.

6. amcstay

amcstay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    About how soon after will they start laying?

Also, my hen likes to sleep in her nest box, especially now that she has some adopted babies in there with her, will she lay there or just some where on the ground?

Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by