Chicken Died. Bullied to death?

City Farmer

Hatching
7 Years
May 17, 2012
I have ten 1 year old hens. About 2 weeks ago one of my Buff Orpingtons stopped going in the coop at night. She would perch on the outside of the coop. I added a light to the inside of the coop and that brought her in one night but then she was back out again. I have an automatic door so I don't go out there every night but for three nights I would go out and put her in the coop at dusk. She kept coming back out until I would force her to stay in. Last night I piled buckets on the coop so she couldn't perch out there. She slept in the coop. This afternoon, I found her dead in the coop. I'm not sure what time she died because I didn't notice her this morning when I went out. She didn't appear to have any feathers missing or any injuries. I'm wondering if the other chickens were bullying her and that's why she wouldn't go in the coop? Is it possible that they caused her death somehow? The one other odd thing I noticed is that yesterday I had one whitish pinkish egg. The eggs have always been brown. Would that be a sign of illness? If she was ill should we stop eating our eggs? Thanks for your help!

If she didn't have a mark on her then it's unlikely the other chickens had anything to do with her death. Many times chickens die and we don't know why. There often isn't a way to determine cause of death without doing a necropsy.

As far as not eating eggs, I wouldn't see any reason to stop eating the rest of the hens eggs if you see no sign of illness in any other birds.

I don't know. It's certainly possible that the others killed her. As for the pink egg, I have no idea how that could happen or have anything to do with her death. Sorry!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom