1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken died :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annichka, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    My favorite chicken died this afternoon. I didn't even realize anything was wrong - as of yesterday she seemed like herself, though she had taken 2 days off laying. She was young, though, and I was told that they could be irregular for the first year or so (though all of ours have been like clocks). I came home and she was crouching next to the coop door, and I thought "that doesn't look good," so I picked her up. She didn't even protest which is very unusual. When I picked her up she started coughing blood, and within minutes she was dead! Any ideas? As far as I can tell she was not egg bound - feeling around her abdomen, I can't feel anything at least.

2. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I have no idea...but am very very sorry for the loss of your young girl! [​IMG]

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very sad - I'm so sorry.
    JJ

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    The only way to determine with certainty what your chicken died off, is to do a necropsy. You might check with your State's Department of Food and Agriculture.
    I am sorry for your loss. It never getts easier when one of our charges dies on us. We end up blaming our selves, why didn't I notice something, I should have checked, I should have come home earlier, I should've..., why didn't I..., but in the end it still happens and we can console ourselves that we really did take good care of them.

5. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I highly suggest having a necropsy done.

Hang in there, I know this is rough... but knowing how and why she died may prevent this from happening to the rest of your flock. [​IMG]

7. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yep, necropsy, if she was healthy then it's possible she gets an injury close to her ribs where her lungs are, was she behind any doorway?

8. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I am really sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

9. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I'm so sorry. Nancy

10. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps