Chicken Doesn’t Cluck

Grey24

Hatching
Dec 28, 2022
I have a Gold Star/ Red Sex Link chicken that doesn’t cluck! She’s about 8 months old, and is at the bottom of the pecking order. She doesn’t have any problems doing her normal chicken-y things and isn’t in any sort of pain so I’m not worried about her at all- I’m just curious as to why she doesn’t cluck. She sort of just chirps and trills like a baby chick still, and almost sounds hurt whenever one of the other girls pick on her or don’t let her eat with them. Again, I’m pretty sure she’s in no stress, and she acts fine (she’s a sweetheart; is always so gentle), I just don’t know why she sounds like she’s still a baby. Is this normal?

I don't have a clue. They are capable of making many different sounds. Some people have studied those sounds and supposedly think they know what they all mean. I know a few but certainly not all of them. Other than alarm calls I don't worry about it. I look at it that they are living animals with a complex social structure. Each one is an individual and is going to do what they want to do. If you are interested it could be a fascinating field of study, trying to learn to speak chicken. But I'm not interested.

@Grey24 my guess from your description is that she is way at the bottom of the pecking order and is trying to sound non-threatening but that is pure speculation. I really don't know.

I don't have a clue. They are capable of making many different sounds. Some people have studied those sounds and supposedly think they know what they all mean. I know a few but certainly not all of them. Other than alarm calls I don't worry about it. I look at it that they are living animals with a complex social structure. Each one is an individual and is going to do what they want to do. If you are interested it could be a fascinating field of study, trying to learn to speak chicken. But I'm not interested.

@Grey24 my guess from your description is that she is way at the bottom of the pecking order and is trying to sound non-threatening but that is pure speculation. I really don't know.

The non-threatening thing sounds pretty smart, not that I would know if that was the real answer, so thank you.

Back
Top Bottom