Chicken 'door' and outside ramp

critterlover

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 15, 2009
Connecticut
We are in the process of getting our new coop and run ready. I want the small opening that leads to the chickens plank or ramp outside to have it's own door, which means the ramp will be attached to the outside of the coop. So I have two questions:

How big does the opening from the coop to the ramp have to be for the chicken to go in and out of?

With the winter weather we get here, what is the best (and safest for the chickens) material to make the ramp out of?

Thanks

I asked the very same question a short time ago and was told 10" x 10" to 12" x 12". I was also told to keep the door opening up off the floor at least 6" so the bedding stays in. For the ramp I am going to go with a 2" x 8" with small horizontal wooden strips on it evenly spaced to provide the hens traction when climbing up into the coop.

My chicken door is 12" x 12" and is only about 2" off the floor but that it is a great idea having it slightly higher to keep the shavings (or what ever type flooring you use) in. My ramp is a 2 x 10. Right now it is super long but I have plans to shorten it when I actually put chickens in this coop. I am also in the process of addding wood strips to the plank. Update us with pics when you get a chance!

For the ramp, what type of wood did you use and since it will be outside all the time did you put any kind of weather sealant on it?

You could use a colored stain or any exterior paint that is non-toxic. Or you could just use plain untreated wood. In reality even here in Connecticut you would get a number of years before wood that is untreated would rot out.

My chickens' door is 7"x9" because that was the size of the pane of glass in the historic, 1850s window that I reused from my house to the barn / coop. Even my large barred rock, Liz, aka "chunky chicken" fits through this just fine.

For a ladder (ramp) I have a 1x8 (which is actually 7.25" wide). Again, the gals are fine with this.

This is Liz:
7883_img_8628.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom