Chicken drinking tons, excessive weight loss, lethargic

Drinking tons of water can be a sign of obstruction. The cause of the obstruction, however, probably won't be readily obvious.

Since her crop isn't very expanded, the cause may be a soft egg stuck. Do this - push against her vent and see if she squats and tries to poop.

If she does try to squat and appear to try to poop, give her a calcium tablet. This will help to produce strong contractions to expel a stuck egg. View attachment 2495309

Do offer her grit as @Eggcessive suggested. If her gizzard is impacted, she will crave grit. This may be why she was eating grass. She may also be impacted with the grass if she has been eating it in lieu of food due to a condition called "pica" where a brain disorder causes a chicken or other animal, including humans, to eat weird stuff that isn't food.
I pushed on her vent but she tightened right up and squawked and flapped. I have had chickens in the past with a stuck egg or an egg that broke inside and they always were flapping their tail feathers up and down and their vents would either be opening and closing or protruding. She isn’t flapping her tail and she has her vent closed up tight except to poop

Last week I saw her start to stay back from the flock....I brought her inside about 3 days ago.... She does nothing but eat and drink all day....She sleeps when she is not eating. Her comb and wattles look better but still look floppy. She hasn’t really gotten any better but she hasn’t gotten worse either.

Based on the bits I quoted, I wonder if the other chickens were chasing her away from the feed? (And maybe away from the preferred foraging areas, too.)

Just plain starvation could cause some of what you're seeing.

If bullying/starvation were the only problems, I would expect a big improvement with a few more days of safety and eating as much chicken food as she wants.

(I just wanted to point out the one thing I haven't noticed anyone else mentioning. She certainly might have other problems too, or other problems instead.)

Very sorry for your loss. When I lose a hen, I usually do a brief necropsy to open the abdomen and look for yellow fluid of ascites, along with noting anything unusual about the color and appearance of her organs, or lash egg material. If you do one, take pictures and post them for any comments. Of course, if you have already buried her, that is fine.

Back
Top Bottom