Chicken + Duck = ???

Quote:
Okay--that makes sense
smile.png

I too found that site while doing my bit of research, it's really interesting. I thought there was some mention of a goose + duck hybrid but it must have been elsewhere. Some of those crosses aren't a very efficient method, not worth trying to continue, did you read the numbers on a turkey + chicken cross? "...23 hybrids were obtained from 302 embryos which resulted from 2132 eggs." That's like, what, a 1% hatch rate?

I didn't think a chuck or a dicken would be possible, but wanted to ask here anyway. With so many poultry keepers here perhaps someone had something hatch at some time. It's funny to see how many people think that a muscovy duck is some sort of mutant hybrid.

I haven't yet found one of my drakes attempting to mate with a chicken hen. I have only 3 drakes and 15 duck hens, so it seems they have enough of their own kind to keep them occupied. Neither has the gander shown interest in mating with anyone but his goose-wife. But would a drake cause injury to a hen if he tried to mate with her? Would he try to drag her into the water to mate? I've seen the drakes mating with the ducks both in the water and on dry land.

Back
Top Bottom