Chicken dust bath

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by rcormier1717, Jun 16, 2019.

1. rcormier1717

rcormier1717 Hatching

Jun 9, 2019
    hey there everyone. I’m new to raising chickens so forgive my ignorance. So I made my chickens a dust bath using some screened sandy loam and some wood ash I had left over from my wood stove from this previous winter. I’ve heard diatomaceous earth is recommended for the prevention of mites and ticks and whatnot. Is it really necessary? What do you all use for your dust baths?

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Free Ranging

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Wood ash from the stove and acidic clay soil that's naturally found under the porch. Both are free! (Free is good.) If I notice mites, I add some Permethrin poultry dust. That specifically targets the nervous system of insects. It targets us too, but we break it down quickly.

I think DE is a little over-marketed, really. It's just silicon dust. It's supposed to get into the joints of carapaces and dry bugs out, but it's also pretty irritating to the respiratory system, from what I understand.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    No, not necessary, and it's ineffective.

Mine dust bathe in the dirt in the run, especially the part under the coop where it stays dry all year around....I don't add anything.

4. Taj_MaChicken

Taj_MaChicken Songster

May 26, 2019
    NW Kentucky
    I made a dust bath for mine, and a few use it, but most of mine have a favorite spot in the run where we dumped some extra dirt when we were trenching the fence. I'm going to just dump the contents in the run, since I'm going to need the floor space for our newly acquired duckling.

5. rcormier1717

rcormier1717 Hatching

Jun 9, 2019
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: