Chicken dusting?

No they just have sawdust

Are they confined to a building with a floor then?

If you can possibly give them a run where they can dig down through the bedding to access the dirt they'd spend a lot of time excavating. :)

That's not much my ladies love better than digging holes.

0121211423d.jpg

0120210857a.jpg

1125201439a.jpg

Feathery earth-movers!

Id be wary of soil in the run. Yes it can work, but if the run is permanent or a tractor that has not been moved in some days, chances of poop in that soil are pretty high. Not sure you want them bathing in that 'dust' if you can help it.

If you chickens can run free, they will dust bathe themselves just about anywhere. If you want to make a place for them, sand /dirt works. I have heard varying stories on the DE. Some people actually rub it into their feathers. Others say to make a mix with some in it. Id rather not comment on the DE aspect as I don't know enough about it to give you an answer that is accurate / good. I do know that I have seen pretty much everywhere that it's bad if they breathe in too much of it. I would imagine any fine dust is not good TBH.

It's been my experience though that if you make something special for them, they will pretty much ignore it, unless it's some sort of food of course :) Your mileage may differ with your feathered children.

Aaron

Are they confined to a building with a floor then?

If you can possibly give them a run where they can dig down through the bedding to access the dirt they'd spend a lot of time excavating. :)

That's not much my ladies love better than digging holes.

View attachment 2504286
View attachment 2504288
View attachment 2504292

Feathery earth-movers!
I love ur pics! I live in Arizona, my entire backyard is concrete except for a very small corner of my yard that's rock with soil underneath. I rescued them from a hoarding situation and currently have them set up in my garage with sawdust and nest boxes until the coop/run gets delivered in a couple days. I was going to give them sand in their run but in a pinch sawdust was better access and seemed safer.... But now I see that they eat it sometimes as well so might switch to sand? .... I created a big enough box with half dirt a d half sand for the to dust with hopefully they will. Thank you for the help!

Back
Top Bottom