Chicken eating grass (plants). What's their fate?

I WISH I could let my chickens eat grass and weeds. Unfortunately, my yard has NO grass, so the chickens have to make do with the sage, roses, and rosemary I toss in their run.

I'm not sure where you live but here in Texas cilantro is 3 bunches for a dollar. Other veggies on sale can be pretty cheap too. I grab a little extra for mine when I shop. I also grow fodder for them inside and alternate with the store bought stuff and weeds so they are getting plenty of green.

I'm not sure where you live but here in Texas cilantro is 3 bunches for a dollar. Other veggies on sale can be pretty cheap too. I grab a little extra for mine when I shop. I also grow fodder for them inside and alternate with the store bought stuff and weeds so they are getting plenty of green.
I live in southern NM. Thanks for the ideas!

You will have happy and healthy chickens if they eat grass and other forage. There are plenty of hogs still raised on pasture including grass, saplings, even roots. Chickens aren't ruminants but they do have a powerful gizard and can access the nutrients in grass.

Back
Top Bottom