Chicken eating their own eggs

thehbcrew

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Long Island
Over a month ago the chickens started attacking/eating there own eggs. I have oyster shells out they never seem to bother with them. Anyway to make this stop. Half the time they don't even eat the whole shell. Its like they are boycotting me getting eggs.
Suggestions?

on top of that issue. The other day a Red tail Hawk came by looks like it chased around the birds for awhile and killed one of them. Now they barely come out of the coop. Any idea how long it will take for them to get out of the funk? I haven't even let them out of the run. Its 144sqft and only 5 chickens now so they have space. Just feel like they should be getting fresh grass and bugs.

I don't know about the hawk problem, but they probably ate a broken egg and now love it! all I can think of is to gather them more often, that and you can get some eggs, blow them out, and fill them with mustard, that way when they try to eat the egg, they get nasty yellow stuff! lol good luck!

I replaced our nest box with the rollout type box and now they won't use them, and lay on the floor. I had "an egg eater" (or two). When they went through molt, I replaced the nest box with the new rollout one, thinking it would be the best time to do that. UGH was I wrong. Although the egg eating has stopped, they won't use the nest boxes and now the eggs are dirty a lot of the time. I wish I had an answer for you on this, because I thought I had it all solved.

Back
Top Bottom